Deep pockets radio

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
I'm going for a £1 self made blanking plate. I've taken out the one that came with the car - and going to fabricate a bit of sheet plastic.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This is what I did with my radio slot after ditching the rubbish cheap aftermarket radio. It's good for storing a mobile, wallet etc.I have since bought a 'Datsun' radio if I want to fill the slot with something more appropriate - I'll not connect it to anything.

Attachments

• IMAG2099.jpg
    IMAG2099.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMAG2100.jpg
    IMAG2100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I'm with you Jake. Would never spend that sort of money on a **** radio (and lets face it they were **** & that is why they were previously dumped in most cases) just in the name of "originality".

The music produced by an L series engine is much nicer on the ears!!

Agreed. My original radio worked but the cassette player didn't and the sound quality from it was terrible. So I took it out and sold it and have put in a very discreet-looking modern radio/cd (not all flashing bells and whistles).
But like you I still prefer to listen to the car itself when I drive. Having heard JakeRAH's car I would be surprised if he could hear the radio over it anyway!!!!
Believe there was a thread on here recently from Smileyinside who was trying to replace the innards of the original unit with modern technology. Don't know how that is going.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
This is what I did with my radio slot after ditching the rubbish cheap aftermarket radio. It's good for storing a mobile, wallet etc.I have since bought a 'Datsun' radio if I want to fill the slot with something more appropriate - I'll not connect it to anything.
I like your thinking Rob. OK so what other uses can be imagined for that vacant hole where said radio is/was. Cool box maybe. How about a drinks cabinet? No! Oh! ;)
@ Riddler. You know the saying 'be seen, be safe', Well I subscribe to the 'Be heard, be safe' school of thought :D And with such a lovely engine tone why not! :D

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Agreed. My original radio worked but the cassette player didn't and the sound quality from it was terrible. So I took it out and sold it and have put in a very discreet-looking modern radio/cd (not all flashing bells and whistles).

But like you I still prefer to listen to the car itself when I drive. Having heard JakeRAH's car I would be surprised if he could hear the radio over it anyway!!!!

Believe there was a thread on here recently from Smileyinside who was trying to replace the innards of the original unit with modern technology. Don't know how that is going.

Hey Mr. Riddler,

I got the bulk of it done & tested in the car and it works well / sounds awesome!! But I am in the process of replacing the original volume potentiometer with an equivalent sized one to make it stereo, as using the original one makes it mono through both speakers. I just need 2-3 toddler / chore free hours this decade to finish and re-fit it. Then I promise to update the thread once more.

I may try to target getting it done before the Kent meet so it gives me an excuse to get it done.

Ali

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Was someone looking Defoe one of these!?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291616107328

1a107805c3e930f35d94bc15c4cc3899.jpg

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
I'm glad I've got one in the car but as said earlier it isn't very good, I can just about get Capitol FM on it