Datsun UK's founder - biography

Ped

Club Member
I came across this biography in a Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre - Botnar Research brochure. What an interesting character...

datsun_UK_founder.jpg

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
'Interesting' is probably the best and nicest sum-up.

If I've understood the 'Count'-less history lessons correctly, he was one of the most direct reasons why we never saw any factory competition parts, more Zs and support for works and privateer competitors.

Import quotas and 'special car taxes' obviously played their part too in guiding his decisons.

IMHO, not really one of 'our' friends but kudos for their charity support - I wonder what % £100m was of his personal fortune ?

I have a write up of Mr Richard who, here in France, was also the private national importer for many years until Nissan took over.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
owed alarge amount of tax to british goverment datun in the mid seventies was no1 importer ousting vw not under nissan name not agreat person did nothing for datsun to greedy forced datsun franshie to sell to him branded under afg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Apparently amassed a £2bn fortune during the 25years between 1966 and 1991 so what he donated equates to approx £2000 a year for someone earning £40k a year.....and if that was tax-deductable which is probably what the inland revenue was about - it cost him less !

mick280

Well-Known Forum User
Read the book "Octav Botnar - A Life". Bought this from Amazon last year. Well worth the read!