Datsun 280Z - Ferrari GTO with a difference!

peter_s

Club Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The proportions are not there.

Cool build, not for me though.

richiep

Club Member
I suspect the DVLA would take a very dim view of that if they were aware. Pretty brazen false representation of the vehicle’s identity!

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Pretty sure the falsified V5 and invalid MOT (because it's not actually a Ferrari) would invalidate your insurance too. Would make driving it illegal.

Last edited:

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ferrari 400 actually has a chassis so maybe it really is a Ferrari just wearing a chopped up Datsun 'hat'? Would surely need a Q plate.

richiep

Club Member
whatever it is, anyone spending £30k on it must be taking a big risk.
50k you mean!
It’s identity is a massive red flag. Plus, even if that wasn’t a factor, and it still retained its correct ID, it doesn’t look at all that great underneath - scruffy and worn. The Z dash being retained lacks the attention to detail that I’ve seen on other replicas. It’s a lot of money for something that needs improvement.

AD240Z

Club Member
“The owner is a talented amateur racing driver you see, and his cars have to go as well as they look. That he also derives enormous pleasure from project managing the restoration of cars like this means that his two decades of doing so have filled his address book with folk who share his vision.”

At least he will be able to out drive the 2 x 6 year olds in his address book.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Overall I quite like the way it has a Ferrari engine and it would make a great track car BUT.....

The front wings need little 'lips' too to cover the tyres.

Yes Rich it's a bit rough underneath.

The video is worth watching - it's running at the end.

Surprise surprise the rev-counter doesn't work.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Interesting reply from Auction House:

Dear Mr Gaskin,

Thank you for your email and enquiry. We have had many discussions with the seller and relevant parties. We believe the car is fully described and no one is being confused with what is being offered.

Please do let us know if you are interested in buying the car and have any questions you would like answered.