Datsun 260c

datsun260c

New Forum User
Hi All, I recently bought a datsun 260c coupe, it was imported from south africa. I bought it from the guy who imported it (in the uk) but the problem is it didn't come with a logbook/title (nova etc.. has been done) so my question is, how do i go about getting it registered? i have looked on the dvla approved owners club list and i can't see any datsun club listed! Any help would be appreciated.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Have you asked the DVLA?

There must be a process for importing a car as an individual?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
There are only two documents DVLA will accept as evidence of year of manufacture/first registration on vehicle imports from South Africa and both must be originals.

One is the RC1 South African vehicle registration document which you say you do not have.
The other is SAPD/SAPS 263 South African Police Motor Vehicle Clearance document on which the year of first registration is written by the inspecting officer. All exports from South Africa must have a police inspection and issue of this document is a legal requirement prior to shipping.

Without either of those documents you will have to obtain a dating certificate from the manufacturer. I am pretty certain the Datsun 260C models were mostly if not exclusively assembled at the Nissan Rosslyn plant in Pretoria from CKD kits shipped from Nissan Japan and I imagine the production records have long since disappeared. Whether Nissan Japan have records and are willing to share I am unsure but it is doubtful.

Buying any South African imported car without the correct paperwork is a risky venture. The other issue DVLA love to pick up on is that if a car has been off the road for any period ie not taxed at any point in it's history which is sometimes the case with old cars, it is classed as 'built up' and shown as such on the RC1 registration document. It doesn't mean it has been written off and rebuilt but lack of knowledge at DVLA leads them to assume this is the case. Never ever submit an RC1 with 'built up' written on it to the DVLA as they will refuse to register it period.

Suggest you ask the importer whom you bought it from for the SAPS 263 document if he says the RC1 is not available. He may know about the 'built up' problem and be hiding the RC1/claiming it is lost as a result. The South African exporter/shipping freight forwarders will have a record and copy of SAPS 263 and the UK clearance agent should also have seen sight of it too (in case the seller claims this is also lost) and this is the easiest/best way of moving forward at DVLA.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
The NOVA is proof UK import VAT has been paid.
Vin number 00353 - looks a little strange and hopefully matches the vin plate on the car?

The other document is NCO change of ownership document prior to issuance of new RC1. I can't read text clearly but looks like Hoofstraat Motors of Paarl were buying the car and they would have been issued with a new RC1 in their name at that point.

As I said before, you need to get the RC1 or SAPD/S 263, nothing less will do.

datsun260c

New Forum User
Thanks, yes the vin matches what's on the car. Looks like i may have to contact hoofstraat motors then and see what they say.