Date of Manufacture Help

Daytona

Club Member
Hi , New to the Forum !

I'm looking to buy a 1978 280Z imported from the USA , it's been declared on the NOVA system but i need a date of Manufacture , as the plate stating this isn't with the car, but it does have the VIN tag, can anyone help me with where i could obtain this info? Or does anyone on the forum supply a dating certificate? Thanks

you should be able to place it with the vin number.

Also, to get a Nova, it must have had some info already?

Joining the club gets you access to the dating services(like tinder for cars).

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

Farmer42

Club Member
When you look for the VIN check that the plate and any other tags align with the VIN stamped on the bulkhead. You will find it in the engine bay above the battery for a LHD car. If you can't check in person get photos of it. That should be the one you use.

If you have the original interior, another way to check year of manufacture is the label on the rear of the seat belts although that is not a guaranteed way.

Daytona

Club Member
Just Joined!!

Thanks for the info above.

I read on one the the threads i've been looking at that there are 4 different places that the Vin number appears , obviously the bulkhead and Vin tag but where would you find the other's on a 280Z ? Or is this info inaccurate?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Don't you need the title document to import? That should have something on.

Just Joined!!

Thanks for the info above.

I read on one the the threads i've been looking at that there are 4 different places that the Vin number appears , obviously the bulkhead and Vin tag but where would you find the other's on a 280Z ? Or is this info inaccurate?

the only accurate one is the bulkhead.

Daytona

Club Member
Okay , if i need a dating certificate would anyone on this Forum able to issue one that would be recognised by the DVLA?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Okay , if i need a dating certificate would anyone on this Forum able to issue one that would be recognised by the DVLA?

The club provides this but as mentioned, you shouldn't need one.

Daytona

Club Member
Sorry if i've missed the info earlier but why wouldn't i need one? This appears to be something you need to declare on the V55 so if you were to have no other proof of manufacture how else would the DVLA know this , without a certificate?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sorry if i've missed the info earlier but why wouldn't i need one? This appears to be something you need to declare on the V55 so if you were to have no other proof of manufacture how else would the DVLA know this , without a certificate?

That would be this right here:

Don't you need the title document to import? That should have something on.

Daytona

Club Member
Hi, the car like a lot of US imports hasn't come over with the Title, i've contacted DVLA and explained that NOVA has been paid and the Vin plate /Chassis number etc are all present , however they are adamant that if the title isn't present i will need a Dating certificate from the Club for the car in question, so is this something i can get? And if so who do i contact /speak to please to obtain one?

Daytona

Club Member
Great thats what i was looking for, thanks. Is there a charge and if so how would i go about paying when i get around to sorting this?