Dashboard Lights - no longer working

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
Question to the forum please.

First trip out tonight in the darkness and was quite surprised how woefully inadequate the lights are on the dashboard lighting up the instruments. Not familiar with the Z, I assumed it is what it is.

Then all of a sudden dashboard lights no longer working. Strange light switch works the external lights, and so assumed a fuse perhaps. They all seem to be OK.

Quick internet search shows that the rheostat (didn't know I had one!) could be the culprit but is a ****** to replace/service.

Now what is odd, I do have lights illuminating the hazard light switch, and also the central heater control panel.

To be honest, I am not terribly clever with electrics. Is there something simple I could try or check first please.

LED instrument panel lighting is now clearly on the list of jobs to do sometime.

Dale

Club Member
I lost mine at one point, but the rear lights went at the same time (headlights were fine). Although the fuses were all ok, it turned out to be the corresponding fuse 'holder' wasn't nipping the fuse fully at both ends and was slightly loose.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You can 'short' the rheostat out - I've removed mine. Connect the input wire to the output wire. Also the instrument bulb holders may have dropped out and/or bulbs blown. They are a tricky job to refit/replace.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You can 'short' the rheostat out - I've removed mine. Connect the input wire to the output wire. Also the instrument bulb holders may have dropped out and/or bulbs blown. They are a tricky job to refit/replace.

That is a brilliant solution. How often do you need to dim your z dash lights!?

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
Hmmm mine have always been poor I just assumed it was how things were in the 70's!! Where is the rheostat located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk