Dash Repairs

Geoff-R

Club Member
I've had a good look around and can't seem to find anything that solves my particular issue. I've got some cracks in my dash but as it's a rhd dash they're nowhere near the sort of cracks from the US cars where the foam has split. These cracks, as pictured, are more in the top layer of the dash, the plastic part and are quite small yet frustrating. Ideally I want to fix these before fitting the dash it will be far easier to do a proper job whilst the dash is out. The smaller cracks are along the top, mainly passenger side. The more significant one is immediately below the speedo.

Has anyone got any first hard experience or repairing these cracks? Ideally I'd like to do a localised fix rather than repaint the whole dash but if that's what's required then so be it. I feel I'd rather do a proper job of it than a bodge that won't hold up over time. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_191343.jpg
    IMG_20210928_191343.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210928_191400.jpg
    IMG_20210928_191400.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210928_191408.jpg
    IMG_20210928_191408.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 29

Farmer42

Club Member
I don't think a repair will ever be a permanent solution no matter how good you do it. Why not consider a full dash cover. I have one and you wouldn't know it's there. A lot of people on this forum have seen my car and what the inside looks like and I have not had one comment to say it looks naff. It's made of fibreglass so won't crack and protects the original dash from further damage. Easy to fit too!

I got mine from RHD Japan - just look for Kameari full dash cover.

Geoff-R

Club Member
I don't think a repair will ever be a permanent solution no matter how good you do it. Why not consider a full dash cover. I have one and you wouldn't know it's there. A lot of people on this forum have seen my car and what the inside looks like and I have not had one comment to say it looks naff. It's made of fibreglass so won't crack and protects the original dash from further damage. Easy to fit too!

I suppose that might be an option, I did get a full dash cap for my LHD 260 and in fairness it doesn't look bad. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the dash cover cost you, delivered?

Farmer42

Club Member
It was around the £325 mark but that was about 5 years ago. The current price should be on the website. Kameari is the only one in RHD as far as I know.

Geoff-R

Club Member
A quick search seems to show it is the only RHD one, circa £360 delivered before fees. Tempted to try a repair before going that route but certainly looks like it could be a long term solution.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think in view of the price of the cap, you could have a go yourself. If it turns out not up to par, what have you lost, just time really …

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
I have repaired and sold a 260z dash that was cracked and left it in sh3d over summer

Never cracked and carri3d on to texture it looks great

Sold it now tho

It work if u use right method

2pac plastic repair glue is the future and look it up we use it in trade and stick anything together

Geoff-R

Club Member
I think in view of the price of the cap, you could have a go yourself. If it turns out not up to par, what have you lost, just time really …

Wise words Mike, time costs nothing really, unless the wife is looking for me and finds me in the garage, again!

Robbie J

Club Member
Very interesting and completely agree, with the right level of work a dash could be had out of that. I assume the kicker is the shipping on such an item, they're not particularly light, coupled with my complete lack of knowledge of yahoo japan auctions.
if you put it on a boat I would expect £100, EMS likely £200 I had a big heavy nismo clutch and that was £250. It is cheaper than Australia shipping. Thing is getting to bid on it as its only a day, my guy likes more notice

Huw

Club Member

I’ve seen Pauls dash and to be honest I had to be told it was a dash cap. It didn’t look like one at all, a really good fit.

richiep

Club Member
Repairing damage that minor is perfectly feasible. Do a forum search as it’s been discussed before. I did one for my project car a number of years back. You’d never know where the repairs are.