Dash crack repairs. | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Dash crack repairs.

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by johnymd, Jan 22, 2018.

1. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I need to fix a few and pretty soon. Any advice or experience?

2. franky

franky
    Z Club Member

aceman

3. Mr Ex Jnr

Mr Ex Jnr Zeds is the way iv been shown Staff Member

4. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

5. datsun dave

datsun dave Active Forum User

Richard Parker has repaired one and very nice job he has done, I am sure he will explain how he has done it.

6. richiep

richiep
    Z Club Member

Did someone call? :)

That classiczcars thread was a starting point for me, but obviously it’s a case of substituting products available here for those available in the USA. On the dash I did, I used Isopon bumper filler for the crack filling, having used Araldite to bond the bottom of the cracks first. After sanding and priming with a suitable plastic primer, I used UPol PlastX texture finish in both ‘fine’ and ‘coarse’ grades, which if done carefully and combined with sanding can very closely mimic the factory vinyl. I finished off with painting the whole dash with Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint. Note: I did not texture finish the whole dash, only the repair areas, and blended them in. It can be done to such a degree that only someone who knows what they are looking for can see the difference. That’s less so if you retexture the whole thing.

7. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Thanks for the info. That’s just what I needed.

8. Dave B

Dave B
    Z Club Member

Dash crack repairs test

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Cut off and sand back the raised parts of the cracks, fill with expanding foam, cut off the excess, then use flexible bumper filler to get the final shape. Mine is all filled now and the right shape again, not used any coating yet as going to have it trimmed in alcantara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

Looks like a good project. I've often thought about the chance of getting one covered in a thin vinyl or something ...

10. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

May give that method a try Dave as I have several dashes knocking around. Some beyond repair so worth trying it out on.

I have also considered having a half cap trimmed in leather and retaining the lower section of the dash original. Or maybe just make a thin cover for the top of the dash in fiberglass and trim that in leather.

11. Dave B

Dave B
    Z Club Member

Yeah, I like the idea of getting the top covered in leather, should protect from further splitting a year or 2 down the line.
    I’m really fancying something similar to this... [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Looks really cool but I'm thinking if you just wrap a dash cap in leather it should be pretty easy. You then retain the original looking dash were it meets the centre consul and the glovebox lid can stay original.

13. AliK

AliK
    Z Club Committee
    Committee Member

14. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

A good option for LHD cars but what about RHD and 260/280z’s. I think they are around £700 so not overly expensive.

15. Mark N

Mark N
    Z Club Member

16. Mutey

Mutey
    Z Club Member

They've also made RHD ones as well now. I believe they're starting their first group buy order or put your name down on the list for one of them soon.

17. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary Staff Member Committee Member

Guys, I know where there is a very good LHD 280 dash. What is this worth ?

I can get this to my house if the price is right.

Attached Files:

18. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary Staff Member Committee Member

Some more:

Attached Files:

19. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

That does look very nice Rob.

20. Mark N

Mark N
    Z Club Member

It looks like it's a dash cap going by the first two photos.