Dash bulbs?

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all..

Me again..

Dash bulbs this time!!

From research, it seems the kit MSA sell is too long for a 240z and hence there are many stories of people having issues with flickering bulbs (seems the glass bulb bit is too long and so means the connection for the ground isn't always touching - some people seem to think it's ok filing the glass down a bit but I'm weary!!)

I like the idea of going higher power 4 Watt over the original 3.2ish Watt (am going to use a headlamp/parking light relay kit so there should be capacity in the system) but want a bulb that's going to fit perfect.

The US guys recommend a bulb (the 12V 4W G3-1/2 Mini Bayonet Base EiKO A-72) but the companies which sell this in the US do not ship international..

Anyone here used a bulb which has worked? While the dash is out I'd rather do this now instead of reaching behind it on my back at a later date!!

Cheers!

Rob

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
These look like they would fit ok:

BA9S 12v 4W

Otherwise search for BA9S, that's the type of bulb fitting for the dash lighting.

Or you could use LEDs as they are practically indestructible, use a fraction of the power, and won't ever need changing.

something like this

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
These look like they would fit ok:

BA9S 12v 4W

Otherwise search for BA9S, that's the type of bulb fitting for the dash lighting.

Or you could use LEDs as they are practically indestructible, use a fraction of the power, and won't ever need changing.

something like this

Cool - cheers!

BA9S.. Ok.. I can hunt out that shape bayonet - guess I just need to make sure it's short enough bulb overall!

I like the idea of LEDs mind.. How would I be able to determine the "brightness" of the LED versus the original bulb? I mean, the original bulbs are 3.2W and quite dim. Are those 0.32W LED bulbs you have linked to going to appear brighter??

I guess I'd need to order and see really??

Could I just connect each one direct to a 12v battery and see how bright it lights up, or am I going to need to setup a small circuit to test with resistors etc? Can't use my dash as it's not in the car!!

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The LED bulbs have resistors built in already so you can just connect them to a 12v source. Not sure how bright those particular ones are, I used some like this but had to file them down. They are definitely a little bit brighter than the bulbs I took out, but then again I don't know how old and knackered the original ones were.

I had to take a couple of the LED bulbs apart to reverse the polarity because the sockets for my tach were wired back to front.

Also, your instrument light dimmer might not work if you replace all the dash bulbs with LEDs. If that happens you can replace it with a PWM controller if you really want to lower the brightness, but the LEDs I used weren't overly bright so I didn't bother.

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
For anyone interested, I found the following company who sell the bulbs recommended by the US guys, and they don't bend you over and abuse you on postage either! Honestly, one US bulb company quoted me $60 postage for 20 dash bulbs!!

Eiko A-72 Miniature Light Bulb

An order of 30 (got some spares!) and postage came to under $24. Not bad I don't think! Especially when compared to MSA in the US who sell 16 for $27 plus postage, and there's questions around their fitting the older 240 guages etc due to the length of the bulb affecting the contacts etc.

PS: I am in no way affiliated, know anybody, etc etc blah de blah, with this company. Just passing on something perhaps helpful!