CV Driveshafts

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Guys, do all 280ZXs have CV joints in the driveshafts?

Also are manual 280ZXs R200 3.9:1 ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I read all manual 280zx have r200s, but I think there were variances with final drive ratios over the years.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
The auto 1979 had a 3.545 R180 which remained until 1982. After 79 the manual had a 3.9 R200 unless it was a turbo which was 3.545.

Huw

Club Member
Hi Rob

Early model 79 to 81 (might only have been 79's not sure) had a universal joint and yoke set up not tripode CV type joints as on later model drive shafts.

I think the R200 diffs were: 1979 - 3.7, 1980 - 3.9, 1981 to 83 - 3.545(turbo) & 3.9(non turbo). This is the data for the US not sure if it was the same for Euro spec, Mike should be able to confirm for definite.

Hope that helps

Huw

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
79/81 manual R200 3.7:1 and same universal joint shafts as S30 models.
late81/83 manual R200 3.9:1 and tripod /CV joint shafts
All auto R180 3.545:1. Shafts for year changes as for manual but late shafts differ between auto and manual.
(UK market data - I have seen JDM import 280ZX with 4.11 R200.)

johnymd

Club Member
Are you thinking of swapping to them Rob?

I ran them for a number of years and considered them pretty strong. I made my own adaptors and they worked well. The shafts only snapped (twice) when I had far too much traction and shock loaded them. At the time I was running around 360hp.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are you thinking of swapping to them Rob?

I ran them for a number of years and considered them pretty strong. I made my own adaptors and they worked well. The shafts only snapped (twice) when I had far too much traction and shock loaded them. At the time I was running around 360hp.

No John I already have them on my blue car. I saw an advert on ebay selling a cheap 280ZX diff near me and it was attached to UJ shafts. Just wondering if it was correct.

Many thanks for the reply guys