Cracked dashboards

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Hi all,

Given that these cars are ~40 years old, I know it's common to have a dashboards that is cracked or broken.

I'm aware that Ivan @ VintageDashboards has started reproducing dashes that look very good quality, but the price reflects that.

Considering the high price + shipping costs + import taxes, has anyone found an alternative, such as repairing the cracks in the dash, etc?

Simon

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Classiczcars.com has a couple of threads on successful repairs to cracked dashes, but I think it's telling that the action there is with vintage dashes - it seems the repairs are a lot of work.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not only are repairs a lot of work, there appear to be many cases where the repairs have not help up to use (vibrations etc) and re-exposure to UV sunlight.

Stockdale

Club Member
Had mine done by Leathertec Ltd in Cheshire a couple of years ago. Excellent result and still very fine although the dash does though need to be out of car. They carry out mainstream repairs to many modern franchises and do know their stuff with several decades of experience at home and abroad. Expect to pay around £300.00 if you drop off and collect. They can though only correct visible damage and can't make 40+ year old remaining bits last longer but as an owner you can help protect degradation by shading/garaging.

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Thanks for the answers.

It makes me wonder what the various restoration companies do/ did do when it came to this side of things. Just stockpile good dashes I guess?

I might speak to Leathertec and see what they say - £300 is better than the ~£1000 I'd be expecting to pay for a reproduced one!

Simon

uk66fastback

Club Member
I know it wouldn't have the original look, but has anyone ever tried to cover one in a thin vinyl? Would it even be possible ... ?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I believe the vintage dashes are $500-700 dollars depending on if you want a blem unit or not. I personally think they're worth every penny if you are going for an original look and its a small price to pay for such an on the show visual item.

Dan

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It makes me wonder what the various restoration companies do/ did do when it came to this side of things. Just stockpile good dashes I guess?
What do they care ? The customer pays. What they don't want is some repair failing after a short time and customer comeback.

Farmer42

Club Member
I know it wouldn't have the original look, but has anyone ever tried to cover one in a thin vinyl? Would it even be possible ... ?

I have a Kameari dash cover on mine which is made of fibreglass. You wouldnt know it was a cover unless you looked really close. It's a full cover not one of those half caps you can get. Cost £300ish but better than constantly repairing cracks and it protects what is left of the original dash underneath. Easy to fit Too! LHD are available in the US bit i got my RHD cover from RHDJapan.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I only know of the LHD ones and yes, they're really not bad. If onlt they would cover the dash edges when opening the doors, one would hardly know !

How is your RHD one - the same on the ends ?

Farmer42

Club Member
I only know of the LHD ones and yes, they're really not bad. If onlt they would cover the dash edges when opening the doors, one would hardly know !

How is your RHD one - the same on the ends ?

Yes, unfortunately. That is really the only place that shows that it's a cover. Otherwise I am really happy with mine.