Coolant system helllppppp!

Brum

Forum User
Hi, my datsun 260 has been sat for 20 years. Some of the coolant pipes are very rusty on the inside where the pipes joined.

Advice on a full flush? For the radiator and normal pipes I was simply going to put a garden hose in the radiator and turn the pipe on to flush it all out. Leaving all the pipes on so it runs through the engine. Does that sound right?

What about the really rusty little water pipes?

toopy

Club Member
To get any sort of decent engine flush you need to remove the thermostat and stick the hose in there to back flush the block, works better if you remove other hoses one at a time on the other side of the block. You can then hold your hand over the hole, allowing the block to fill with water and then release all at once for a better flush.
Flush the heater matrix separately using the metal stubs on the firewall.
The smaller pipes, if you mean the ones on the inlet manifold and round the back of the engine, they may not be salvageable.

toopy

Club Member
If the radiator is really bad, you'd be better off removing it and flushing upside down.... a lot!

Brum

Forum User
To get any sort of decent engine flush you need to remove the thermostat and stick the hose in there to back flush the block, works better if you remove other hoses one at a time on the other side of the block. You can then hold your hand over the hole, allowing the block to fill with water and then release all at once for a better flush.
Flush the heater matrix separately using the metal stubs on the firewall.
The smaller pipes, if you mean the ones on the inlet manifold and round the back of the engine, they may not be salvageable.

Yeah the little ones. The ones going through the manifold have rusted so bad they crumbled when I took the hoses off. Was going to bypass. The manifold with a hose going around it for now.

The pipe going into the engine on the starter motor side of the engine was clogged with a rock solid blue/white substance had to pick it out with a screw driver

toopy

Club Member
Yeah the little ones. The ones going through the manifold have rusted so bad they crumbled when I took the hoses off. Was going to bypass. The manifold with a hose going around it for now.

Yeh, most people disconnect that part of the system completely as it's really not needed in the UK, it's just not cold enough, well unless you drive your car in winter in the highlands maybe!

The pipe going into the engine on the starter motor side of the engine was clogged with a rock solid blue/white substance had to pick it out with a screw driver

That'll be very old antifreeze that has dropped out of solution and stuck it's self to interior surfaces, that doesn't bode well for other parts of the system!

uk66fastback

Club Member
A Z that has sat for two decades - and no-one has asked Brum for any pics? Please show us some ... it's a UK car I take it - not one you have imported that has sat for 20 years?

Brum

Forum User
A Z that has sat for two decades - and no-one has asked Brum for any pics? Please show us some ... it's a UK car I take it - not one you have imported that has sat for 20 years?

Yeah UK original. Bought her 5 years ago, only just got round to working on her since Covid.

Brum

Forum User
Yeah not much left to do.

Carbs, rebuild starter motor, fix coolant system, engine running, interior in, finishers to do the final sand, coat and polish.

Been a lot to bring her back. Whole new roof, rear quarter from the quarter window to the back lights which I imported from the states. Floor pans, entire new vinyl, carpets, covers.

Except from the front spoiler and solenoid she's 99% stock. She did have an upgraded tape deck but still think it's pretty old.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Yeah not much left to do.

Carbs, rebuild starter motor, fix coolant system, engine running, interior in, finishers to do the final sand, coat and polish.
Sounds like a fair amount! Keep us updated on the progress. Do you have all the parts?