contacting previous owners

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
I'd love to see an old pic of my Z from the 70's and have been toying with the idea of writing to some previous owners. I have a list of all the owners from the DVLA but i'm apprehensive coz it was such a long time ago & it might cause an upset if there no longer around. Has anyone done it with theirs? I've just found a website called 'Drive Archive' where you can register info about an old car but there's nothing about mine. Should I write?

Wyn

Club Member
I would. You might find some useful info ?
Sure if they aren't interested they will just ignore it anyway

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I contacted my PO and he was delighted to hear all about the car and that it had gone to someone who cares as much as he did about it.

He said the car was a big part of his life and we agreed to stay in touch so I can tell him how the car is improving over time.

You will never know the reaction 'till you try but I would imagine most people -given how long ago it may be are potentially a) over the worst of the loss, b) glad that a piece of their loved one still exists, c) be delighted to look through old photos and remember their dad/brother/sister/mum/family Nunn ;) with a passion for their driving and doing it in a Datsun.

I would say do it, but with great delicacy and tact ( as I'm certain you would).

Make sure you send a photo of the car with your letter.

Ali K

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
I would think that even if the person has "moved along", if the person that reads your letter knew them, then the car would have been a big part of their life.... chances of it being a massive negative should be a lot less than it being seen as a positive.

I hope you do!

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the advice!, I'm pretty sure the 3rd owner from around 1978 is on Facebook so I'll test the water with her and see what happens. If that works I may write to one or two more.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
My Z has spent all it's life in California except the last three years in which it's lived in Florida until the end of last year when it arrived here in the UK. I contacted the last US owner but heard nothing back and I tracked down people who knew the car & it's owner while it was in California but didn't manage to get hold of the old owner, but I'm hoping that at some point I'll be able to find them as I really would like to find out more about the cars history and also some of the engine mods that have been carried out..

:driving: