Completely off-topic, 'scariest films'.

Dale

Club Member
Completely non-car related (unless we throw Christine into the mix) but what are everyone's favourite scary films?

I'm looking for a proper scary and 'make you jump' thriller to play at my Halloween film night I'm hosting for a group of friends. I want my guests to properly s**t themselves! :devil:

I know its easy just to simply Google the question (which I've done) but the top 'whatever' scariest film list is often filled with gory horror films that are so unreal and unbelievable that they fail to tick the box of a genuine scary film.

So far I've bought 'Mirrors', which I've seen before and thought it was a decent jumpy thriller, but I wanted some more options in case too many guests have already seen it and of course I would much prefer a film I've not seen before myself.

Feel free to post Youtube links for trailers of recommendations. Here is a trailer for Mirrors...

Thanks in advance.

[youtube]c7byl_mAaOE[/youtube]

Mr.F

Inactive
The Grudge -starring Sarah Michelle Gellar - creeped me out big time. Not a very coherent story line but very jumpy in parts...

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Mirrors is a great creepy / scary film! Affected me for weeks!

How about Saw 1? Good plot, some jump scares and gore. Orrrrr Cube? More of a psychological horror.

richiep

Club Member
It's an oldie now, but I still think it is hard to beat Alien. If you really watch it properly it's still incredibly impactful with it's body horror dimensions and sexual metaphors. Make it the Alien Director's Cut too, with the extra scene where Ripley discovers what has happened to Brett and Dallas...

First saw that film at the age of 8-ish in the early 80s. Still have dreams regularly featuring the Xenomorphs! Kerry thinks I'm permanently scarred.

Or, continuing the iconic oldie vibe, John Carpenter's The Thing. Damn. Rob Bottin is a practical FX genius. Personally I also enjoy the 2011 prequel too, but that tends to be a bit divisive (weakened by studio meddling overlaying CGI on the practical FX work).

Most modern horrors aren't particularly good IMO. They confuse horror with sick amounts of gore and sadism (Hostel etc.). The Conjuring however I enjoyed - like a modern Amityville Horror. Shock scares, minimal CGI.

Actually, one modern gore fest you should absolutely consider though - 30 Days of Night. Feck me. The absolute total antidote to the Twilight generation of vampire movies! :eek:

Dale

Club Member
Cube is a good shout, great film. Another scary film (in the more sci-fi category) is Event Horizon. Although set in space, it's a devil/demon horror film.

Looking up The Grudge, and it's mixed reviews, led me to the original film it was remade from, Ju-On. Now that looks a film I need to see!

Late last night I bought a second hand copy of REC after I came across it as a recommendation. It's a POV film akin to The Blair Witch Project, but I'm sure a hell of a lot better.

I agree with you about modern horrors Richie. I've got the Hostel films and I don't know why as I'll not be watching them again.

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Wow just took a look at some screenshots from Event Horizon - I think I need to watch that one! Hehe also need to see John Carpenter's The Thing too, had a lecture at uni about the special FX and it looked amazing.

I've not seen this one but have heard pretty good things about it - Cabin in the Woods. There's a twist at the end so don't read too much into it :p

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
It’s all relative right?

For people scared of spiders, Arachnophobia would scare people silly.
For people scared of clowns, It would be a good shout.

I saw the exorcist in the 90’s when I was a kid. Man that freaked me out something good especially when you saw the writing appear on the stomach! WTF!
Alien is a cracker of a film. It has everything to scare the **** out of you.
The Shining is also a superb film. Borning fact: It was the first film that used a steadicam!
I really enjoyed the conjuring too.
What about the 6th sense, i really enjoyed that too. Great film if you haven’t seen it before.

Going Eastern,

The Ring was pretty cool. Throughly enjoyable though.
Audition was pretty fxxked too. Well worth a watch but may well be quite difficult to take in for some. Evil on another level.

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
Wow just took a look at some screenshots from Event Horizon - I think I need to watch that one! Hehe also need to see John Carpenter's The Thing too, had a lecture at uni about the special FX and it looked amazing.

I've not seen this one but have heard pretty good things about it - Cabin in the Woods. There's a twist at the end so don't read too much into it :p

Event Horizon. I watched that in the cinema. Totally different from what I was expecting!

A lecture at uni about SFX. Can I ask what industry you work in Nathan?

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Event Horizon. I watched that in the cinema. Totally different from what I was expecting!

A lecture at uni about SFX. Can I ask what industry you work in Nathan?

Energy consultancy :lol:

Studied computer animation at uni though

richiep

Club Member

You've never seen The Thing? :eek: I suggest acquiring the Bluray immediately! That was another one I first saw one I was far too young for it - although I only managed about 25 mins the first time. When the husky dog started breathing in a very un-doglike manner, I was off!

As for Event Horizon, I saw that at the cinema with a bunch of friends. Everyone left at the end either very quietly or going "WTF!?" to each other! Paul Anderson, the director (Resident Evil movies, AvP) gets slammed all the time, but personally I thought he got that one right.

Oh, and another vote for REC from me. REC2 as well.

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Fright Night and Silver Bullet (the originals)
Freaked the hell out of me as kid... funny these days

What Lies Beneath
Not particularly scary, but has a couple of scenes that just freaks me out

Paranormal Activity
I made the mistake of watching this at 0100 in the morning, by myself, because I couldnt sleep. Didnt sleep for the rest of the day

But if you want to scare the hell out of them... So tempted to do this for my GSD and let her lose in the front garden :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoB8t0B4jx4

Phil007

Club Member
Alien, great film, the attention to detail's amazing. One my top 5 favourites but still more of a sci fi than horror and the franchise did terrible things to the alien after this one. 'I admire it's purity' - brilliant.

The Thing, yeah this is also one of my favourites, a great take on an old classic with superb special effects, for me, that are still much better than the over-perfect modern CGI.

American Werewolf in London's (1981) also a favourite - first werewolf film I saw where the transformation looks like a proper wolf and not a bloke in a hairy suit, though comedy as will as horror - 'stick to the paths lads, don't go on the moors'.

But for genuine scary horror - and it is all relative - Wolf Creek (2005). I've no belief in supernatural stuff / ghosts etc at all, so the ones that scare me are the 'this is how bad humanity can get' films (but not US high school nonsense). This one's so good I hate it and don't ever want to watch it again. But I'll never forget it either, it doesn't let go and never lets you off the hook. The sign of a genuinely well-made horror, even though reviews on IMDB are mixed.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Dale, you simply have to get a mutant spider dog and let it loose half way through the movie!!!! People will properly need a nappy change !!!! :)

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
American werewolf in London is a great film................ but I can remember the first time I watched Jaws and when the head floated out the bottom of the boat I nearly had a heart attack !!!!!!!!!!!!! and then when I watched it again waiting for it to happen I still jumped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!