Competition Steering Wheel......problem with the horn

DaveF

Club Member
So I decided to replace my standard steering wheel with a replica competition one from www.classicpanelsandparts.co.uk

Looks amazing and very well made....but the PCD of the three screws to fit the horn are too close.

Does anyone know of an alternative? I should have researched more beforehand.....

Wheel.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers - shame no-one seems to supply just the horn.

The photos on that supplier's site show the wheel with the horn push mechanism in place (as per the originals) but no horn button.

Did your wheel come with no horn push mechanism then?

DaveF

Club Member
The photos on that supplier's site show the wheel with the horn push mechanism in place (as per the originals) but no horn button.

Did your wheel come with no horn push mechanism then?

No, the competition wheel that I bought came without the horn and I was led to believe that my existing horn would transfer across. Unfortunately it doesn't because the spring is too large and the pcd on the existing horn is bigger than the mount on the competition wheel.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Exactly.....but it has to be for the competition wheel

Any stock 1969 through 1973 horn push will work. Exactly the same Nissan part was used on the 'Compe' steering wheels as was used on the stock wheels. Only emblems differed ('Datsun'/'Z'/'NP').

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Any stock 1969 through 1973 horn push will work. Exactly the same Nissan part was used on the 'Compe' steering wheels as was used on the stock wheels. Only emblems differed ('Datsun'/'Z'/'NP').
there's the problem then, @DaveF has a '78 260z.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
there's the problem then, @DaveF has a '78 260z.

Yes, noted.

I think the problem here is that the vendor - inexplicably - is selling these repro wheels without the matching repro horn push that other vendors of the same product, usually from the same source, sell as part of the package.

Confusion over correct terminology (horn, horn mechanism, boss, horn push etc etc) probably doesn't help either.

DaveF

Club Member
Yes, noted.

I think the problem here is that the vendor - inexplicably - is selling these repro wheels without the matching repro horn push that other vendors of the same product, usually from the same source, sell as part of the package.

Confusion over correct terminology (horn, horn mechanism, boss, horn push etc etc) probably doesn't help either.

Yes, very true. I asked them the question and he said that if my horn fits the original competition wheel then it should fit theirs...obviously we had both assumed the wheel boss hadn't changed. In any case, the dish on the competition wheel is a lot shallower and it sits a bit too far forward for my liking, so I'll be sending it back.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You can buy the correct (to steering wheel) horn pushes seperately but you're gonna have a weekends' DIY to fit either of the post '73 horm pushes to fit !