Colour choice!

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Newbie project 260Z

Right guys a bit of help required please :thumbs:.

I might of sold my 500 bhp Pulsar engine for 4k to another GTIROC member, I'm just awaiting payment at the moment, The point being I'll have 2k to spend on painting the new project :D.

So what are your opinions on colour choice, My feeling is that red is a bit Ferrari wannabe and black is just a no no for me, I'm thinking either dark metallic blue/Metallic charcoal grey or top of my list at the moment is egg shell blue :eek:.

Now I'm not a purest so I don't care what colour it left the factory so don't even go there :rolleyes:.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Don't mean a thing

Hi.
whether you spend £20.00 0r £2K or £20 K You have already made up your mind on what you prefare & what you don't? So why ask for an opinion?
enjoy your ride. DJZ 60.:cool:

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
my last Z was Red and I loved it to bits at the time and I did think about red again for this one, But I've seen a few of those 250gto copies and that put me right off red this time( personal opinion if that's still allowed), I'm not dissing anybodies car at all. I was having a bit of fun with the 280ZX owners in the other post nothing more sinister than that :unsure:.

I also think the Z is a far better car than the Pulsar that's why I swapped over and I was stating a fact when I talked about the cost's involved in restoring/tuning a Z being far more reasonable than the painful experience my back account has suffered during my Pulsar ownership years, I also respect the fact that their are totally original cars out there, But I want something more usable mate, I don't do polishing or laying under my car with a tooth brush in hand ;).

I don't think I'm better or worse than anybody else on here, I come from a council estate so I'm defiantly nothing special, I'm lucky enough to be a bit better off these days but I'm not loaded or anything.

And I was expressing genuine surprise when I was one about the costs involved, Nothing more nothing less

Anyway back on topic please all advice will be accepted graciously ;):D:D:D.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Nidge74

New Forum User
Edited previous post slightly, so it makes sense after previous deleted posts.

Rob, I think whatever colour you want mate, and if you don't like it, save up and do it again.

I'm not one for originality if I'm going for a respray, I like to be different. Others like to be purists and leave them original. It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Edited previous post slightly, so it makes sense after previous deleted posts.

Rob, I think whatever colour you want mate, and if you don't like it, save up and do it again.

I'm not one for originality if I'm going for a respray, I like to be different. Others like to be purists and leave them original. It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day.

LOL nice editing skills Nidge :bow::D.

I miss my admin power on this site :p, I'm the one normally doing the editing on the GTIROC :rolleyes:.

You know I really have no idea what bl00dy colour to paint the thing, I had this problem when I had the Pulsar painted, In the end I copped out and had it done Ferrari metallic Nero, And I don't want to make the same mistake again. Colour choice can really make or break a project!

Rob

Dale

Club Member
I think you're spot on with the grey, I think this car looks fab IMO.....

Grey 240Z

But my choice if it were my car would be..............ooh, not telling! :p

Nidge74

New Forum User
That does look great Dalos

But as I found when choosing colours for my N13, pictures quite often don't show the colour as seen for real.

I saw a colour that I really like in picture form, but when I got a sample sheet from the manufacturer it looked hideous. So I changed my mind, saw a sample in a can and took a gamble.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
A can a Dulux and a roller sounds very tempting lol.

I've also been reading the rear panel colour thread with interest as well, I quite like the look of flat black on the rear panel but I suppose it depends on my main colour choice.

I want to get this car spot on first time because I wont have the money to do it again, When I had the pulsar painted I only had £900 to get it done! And it showed with the finished result.

Rob

Russ

Club Member
Hmmm

What is your end use of the car? Weekend toy? I like white being the Jap racing colour :) White looks cool I think, but maybe will date it to a mid-late 2008 as I think white cars will look dated again in a few more years.

Ahhh decisions decisions :)

My 240 is going to be the champagny silver it currently is, sounds horrible, but it's like a nice silver really.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
The thing I don't personally like about white is I think you lose the lines a bit, Plus you get snow blindness trying to wash and polish the buggers on a sunny day lol.

Oh and I live is Scotland now it might need a lot of washing lol.

My intended use for the car is to use it as much as pos as an everyday motor plus as many track and drag days as I can afford to attend.

I probably wont use it much in the winter because they use a lot of salt up here and I hate washing cars, So I'll stick to my 5hitron xantia for dump runs lol.

Rob

Russ

Club Member
Yeah good points, I've never owned a white (or black for that matter) vehicle so they are two colours I want to get out of my system.

I like non metallic period colours, I think they look more interesting seeing as everyone has a modern paint job these days.

What about using a colour from the 350z range like the Azure blue or the Coppery/Orange?

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I like non metallic period colours, I think they look more interesting seeing as everyone has a modern paint job these days.

I agree I do think the period colours look good on an old car, That's why I was thinking of Egg shell blue. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for a baby blue car as yet :conf2:.

Another problem with reds is that they tend to fade badly with out a lot of maintenance, And like I said earlier I hate cleaning/polishing cars so it has to be durable.

I'll have to go through the colour charts I suppose.

Rob

Russ

Club Member
I don't do red cars either, they just can't make a really good red, the new Audi reds look alright, but not my bag.

If I'm out the body shop soon I'll go through their datsun colour chart see if there was a nice blue.

Is this egg shell blue as you see it (our monitors all display the colour differently)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eggshell_blue

Attachments

• eggshellblue.jpg
    eggshellblue.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 7

JakTheRuby

Club Member
A nice and shiny duck egg blue (a tiny bit less yellow than the thumbnail from Russ) with black for the hardware (bumpers, wheels etc). Awesome.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
All I can say, its always a tough choice making your mind up. For me its the light metallic blue that was an original colour on the 1977/78 260z. Mine was originally that colour, and I have seen a couple in the flesh, I like it loads.

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
I think even nicer than duck egg blue would be an ice blue metallic much like you see on Jaguars old and new. Stunning!