Coilovers that don't need welding

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
you have to cut off your spring seats and it should slide over the top,thats the idea,some how i do not think it will be that simple

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
That's what I was thinking, but wouldn't just pressing them on without welding them be a unsafe?

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
not quite as i think its the spring that holds it all together

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe I'm being dumb but what's to stop it sliding down the strut? In the picture it shows some kind of seat

or is that the bottom of the original spring seat left on there?

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
plus in one of the pictures it has a ring on it to stop it sliding down aswell

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
i ahve these on my corolla too, you have to weld a ring around the strut and the threaded parts sits on there.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe they are the other version Kameari, these ones specifically state 'No welding required', hence why I wanted to know how they were attached

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Anyone think these are worth looking at? They are under £215 shipped to UK for 8kg front and 10kg rear springs - i wanted it very stiff but they do lesser strength springs.

8 kg/mm is around 447 lb/in.
10 kg/mm is around 558 lb/in.

Those rates will overpower most of the cartridge type dampers available off the shelf for your car, and even if you did fit suitable dampers to cope with them you'd still end up with the body of the car acting as your 'fifth spring'.

It would not last too long.....

riske

Active Forum User
So do i go for less strength springs? also these just slip over the Tokico or KYB gas cartridges?

I have been looking on hybridz forum for info but so many different things which dont actually have a difinitive answer, especially not for non US/jap Z's!!!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So do i go for less strength springs?

The answer to that - in my opinion - is an emphatic YES. The spring rates you are quoting are somewhere approaching double what the normal Tokico and KYB gas cartridges can handle. Compare them to the stock spring rates for your car.

You might think you want your car to ride "very stiff", but the reality is that without a multipoint cage that is tied into the suspension you will just be flexing the body and putting shockloadings through it that are orders of magnitude greater than it was designed to cope with, even when it was new.

I'm concerned that you are just looking at numbers, and with a natural tendency to think that bigger numbers must be 'better'. But springs, dampers, ARBs and all the other components of your suspension and steering are meant to work together as a package. If you are locked into using particular damper cartridges for example, then you have to choose spring rates that suit them. What are you starting with?

Do you really need 'coilovers'...? If this is basically a road car then you might be better advised to go for a proprietary damper and spring kit that will save you a lot of hassle and some money that you can spend on something else.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I fitted coil overs to my last car and hated them so much they only lasted about 2 months before I changed back to standard style up rated susp, They where great on track but for normal road work they where bloody awful.

If you hit a big bump mid corner you'd find yourself on the other side of the road facing on coming traffic, Also I found them very bad for wet driving with the front washing out on roundabouts which made the car no fun at all.

Granted not all coil overs are as bad as that, My mate had some Ohlins or what ever they're called which where very good indeed but expensive, I agree with the previous post about spring rates, Be very careful if you intend to use the car manly for road use, I'm sticking with my Tokico on this car.

Rob

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
vpulsar said:
I fitted coil overs to my last car and hated them so much...

If you hit a big bump mid corner you'd find yourself on the other side of the road facing on coming traffic, Also I found them very bad for wet driving with the front washing out on roundabouts which made the car no fun at all.

A word about this "coilover" term:

Essentially, the stock struts on an S30-series Z ( McPherson front, Chapman rear ) are already 'coilover' design - ie the dampers operate inside the coils of the springs in the same plane ( the 'coil' spring is 'over' the damper ).

The 'Coilover' term is often used when the point is usually about adjustable spring platforms.

All things being equal, whether you have adjustable spring platforms ( "coilovers" ) or not should be of no consequence to the ride and handling of an S30-series Z. The key factors are the spring rates, damper bump and rebound rates and all the other componentry that interacts with them. The bottom spring seats are by definition fixed in use, whether adjustable height or not. They are not dynamic.

riske

Active Forum User
I would like adjustable suspension so i can lower my car to a desired height. I will be using this car as a fast road / track car. The lowering springs that are currently available do not go low enough so im after 'coilovers'

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
I'm ordereing ground control coilovers at the moment.
However I'm unsure about what spring rates I should
Be going for. I'll be doing the odd trackday bit it will be
Mainly for road use.
The come with 150 front 175 rear spring rate but I can
Choose harder or softer if I wish.