Clutch Slave Cylinder

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Would somebody be able to advise, please, if the clutch slave cylinder (shown in the photograph) on my 1978 two seater 260Z is factory fitted (stock) or aftermarket? Where "NABCO" would normally be found cast into the body, this has been filed away for some reason.
Thanks.
9954d1325796047-clutch-slave-cylinder-dsc06720-jpg

Attachments

• DSC06720.JPG
    DSC06720.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by a moderator:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Would somebody be able to advise, please, if the clutch slave cylinder (shown in the photograph) on my 1978 two seater 260Z is factory fitted (stock) or aftermarket? Where "NABCO" would normally be found cast into the body, this has been filed away for some reason.
Thanks.

Probably a hideous fake.:eek:
You should be ashamed to have it fitted.:D
9956d1325806307-clutch-slave-cylinder-parts-2012-007-large-jpg

Attachments

• Parts 2012 007 (Large).jpg
    Parts 2012 007 (Large).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 161

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the responses, Gents.

The previous owner of my car kept all the non-service parts that came off it between 1979 and 2001, when I bought it. I have the original coil, plug leads, thermostat and the like, but no clutch slave. This led me to believe the one on the car was a factory part, although it is listed "Nabco" in my parts book, whereas the on the car is clearly not. The previous owner purchased the car at 13 months old, so it is unlikely the slave was replaced in that time.

Anyway, in order to save a bit of face then, I have a couple of replacement 3/4" slave cylinders, both Nabco, but slightly different to each other. The painted black one is 30620-U7001, which is one number different from my parts book, 30620-U7000. I am thinking the grey finished cylinder with the machined bolt faces is possibly 30620-U7000. Is it possible that an expert on here could confirm that, please?
9957d1325851111-clutch-slave-cylinder-dsc01217-jpg

Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSC01217.JPG
    DSC01217.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 171

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I guess if you want a concours original car then you want all the right parts...

Mr.G

Club Member
I guess if you want a concours original car then you want all the right parts...

Agree John. I've met A2Z and the attention to detail in his build is phenomenal. :bow:

I can't say I'd go to these extremes myself but thankful there are people out there who will and those of us who want to can marvel in what they've achieved. :thumbs:

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks to everyone for their views and comments. The last two posts "hit the nail on the head" and thanks to Mr. G for his positive comments. Bearing in mind I bought my car in standard form, it made sense at that point to ensure it remained that way. However, having seen Ian P's phenomenal 260Z in the flesh prior to Christmas, I can fully understand people going down that route too; and his car is truly amazing. There is plenty of room in the Club to accommodate all the cars and their owners views, as this forum reflects.:thumbs:

As the posts have shown, to some people as long as a part fits that's acceptable, but for me it's not. It is a real challenge identifying, tracking down and purchasing identical parts that were fitted to the car when it was manufactured in 1977. Those that have gone down that route will understand, whilst others will follow a different path to get to their destination.

..............still got to sort out the definitive answer to the clutch slave question, though!;)

Attachments

• 260Z Coupe (LH).JPG
    260Z Coupe (LH).JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 27

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the complement.

Seeing what Jeremy wants to do, just some "will do the job" part is not going to cut the mustard. As they say, the devil is in the detail, and once you start looking, there are loads....

Not a definitive answer, but looking at the Nissan workshop manual, there is a sketch of the slave cylinder, and a technical drawing on the next page, both with lines showing the milled down surface for the fixing bolt, so I would go with that. Coupled to the fact Nissan thought about these things, and an un-flat surface for the spring washer to bite into, not Nissan's way (in my view).

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I don't disagree Ian, however initially Jeremy didnt make his remit clear, if he had, then I for one would not have posted my "does it matter" reply as clearly it does..(to him:thumbs:)

Each to their own, I guess.

As a means to continue the theme, surely at some point you have to accept that modern parts will have to be used (plugs, points, oil, fuel, tyres, brake fluid etc) as the original parts are either no longer available or actually not safe/banned (how many here can remember crossply tyres or real asbestos in brakes) but surely the moment you do that the integrty of what you are trying to achieve is compromised....not that you should't try, I am just trying to understand the rules thats all.

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Ian, thanks for the response. I think you are correct in what you say in respect of the clutch slave having machined faces at the bolt positions.

SKiddell, thanks for your interest. On my first post I only needed to know if the slave cylinder on my car was a factory fitted (stock) one, that’s all. The reason for not saying it was for a stock rebuild is that I did not want the stock v modified debate to take over from my query. As for obtaining parts, if one looks hard enough and is prepared to pay a fair price, the original (non-superseded) spark plugs, points, even braided hoses and factory gasket sets can be found, whilst a number of other parts are restorable through the right people. Yes, the original factory brake components may contain asbestos, but it can be found in UK properties up to 1999, too, so there are risks all around us. Provided that we are aware of these risks, they can be safely managed and subsequently dealt with. I am not sure there are any "rules", as such, to what I am doing and I have certainly not thought about adhering to any set criteria, just simply attempting to ensure my car remains the vision of what the project team at Nissan wanted it to be. In terms of using some non-original parts, my analogy would be that if a historic building or work of art has been restored through time, this does not make it any less attractive, provided that the vision of the restorative processes remain the same and the original methods are adhered to where they can be.

Anyway, long may the debate continue, although I do now seem to have now sorted out the clutch slave query, so thanks again to everyone for your input. :thumbs:

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Skiddell, where does it say in my post that "you don't disagree" (or anyone)? My point was made after Jeremy made his remit clear, so your point is....?

tezgul

New Forum User
Where can I buy a new Clutch Slave Cylinder for my 240z 1971 ?.Any help shall be appreciated..Thanks........

Mr.F

Inactive
I carry stock of slave cylinders, but postage to Turkey would be about £6.00. The item itself is £26.75 (no tax for outside EU).
Mike at MJP (Eastern Auto)