Clutch collars | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Clutch collars

Discussion in 'Drivetrain' started by jonbills, Mar 31, 2021.

1. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Hi,
    On my super duper LD32 engine, I'm fitting an RB flywheel and clutch.
    I've been measuring it up and comparing to a standard 240mm flywheel and clutch, and it's about 9mm taller in aggregate.
    I know there are a number of different height clutch collars around, but I don't know their heights.
    I've got this one spare, which I think is the original 260z one my car came with mated to a 225mm flywheel. its about 23mm between the two contact surfaces.
    DSC_0105.JPG
    and I've got the one in the car, that I got from MrF to go with my 240mm flywheel. I don't know how big it is, cos it's in the car!

If you've got any clutch collars around to be measured, I'd be very grateful if you could measure the distance between those two contact surfaces and let me know.

2. 240L31

240L31
    Z Club Member

3. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Thanks Tim, that's awesome.
    I think that confirms what I was just reading on hybridz.org, that my ~23mm collar is probably a 24mm collar, common to (most?) the 240mm clutch cars.
    https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/85...-turbo22-vs-na/?do=findComment&comment=808868

and what I need is a 16mm one from an early car with a 71a gearbox. Although I can probably get my 24mm one machined down if needed.

4. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Treasurer Staff Member Moderator

I'll have a look Jon.

jonbills likes this.
  5. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Actually, looking at Nils' stuff again, my spare 23mm one probably is my original one from 225mm flywheel and 71b gearbox and the one in the car will be a 29mm one for 240mm flywheel and 71b gearbox.
    So I actually need one that is 20mm I think, which should be easy enough to make from the spare.

240L31 likes this.
  6. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Actually, actually, I think I'm still wrong, the one in the car is probably a 25mm one, for 240mm flywheel and 71b gearbox. and I need a 16mm one. AAAAGH.
    I think I'll wait until I've got the old engine out to decide.

7. Joey Bratten

Joey Bratten Forum User

Any chance you could just machine one down to size?

8. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Yeah definitely, I'm not banking on someone having a 16mm one for me (but that would be great if it happened - one less thing to worry about between engines)

Joey Bratten likes this.
  9. Joey Bratten

Joey Bratten Forum User

I can get an apprentice at work to machine it for if you cant find anywhere to do it

jonbills likes this.
  10. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Thanks, I've got someone lined up for it, there's a few other maching jobs will be on the list for him before the engine can go in.

Joey Bratten likes this.
  11. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Treasurer Staff Member Moderator

Sorry Jon, this is the shortest of two I have. 20210401_185026.jpg 20210401_185057.jpg

12. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

thanks Rob, that looks like 20mm or under, so would be better than the one I've got. Are you around over the next few days?

13. moggy240

moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Staff Member Moderator

I have a couple, I can have a look tomorrow and see what I have.

jonbills likes this.
  14. moggy240

moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Staff Member Moderator

All mine are 36mm. The one on the left is a 200sx s14 one. I thought I had some more but can't find them.

Attached Files:

15. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

Thanks Mike. I got a couple from Rob that are 18mm, so should be able to use one of them.