Clutch Bush Removal

Skallywag

Club Member
Clutch Bush Extractor Tool

In the current rebuild of my L24 engine I came across an interesting problem. A problem you may at some time find yourselves in. I couldn’t find any ‘how to’ video’s other than some guy suggesting you hook out the bush with the end of a bearing puller claw, which I must admit I did try for about three minutes before deciding it was a bad as well as impractical.

Although the solution was simple enough and I found it worked well.

You will need the following parts to make your own clutch bush extractor.

1 x 5mm x 20mm flat bar @ 120mm long

1 x 5mm piece of flat bar approximately 20mm square.

2 x 8mm set screw @ 30mm long

1 x 8mm set screw @ 40mm long

You will need to drill the flat bar in the centre and again 30mm each side of the centre hole. Tap the holes or weld nuts to the flat bar to take the 8mm bolts.

Weld the 20mm square flat bar to the head of the 40mm set screw and shape to fit in the bush.

Leave a lip on the shape to enable it to hook onto the lip of the bush. See attached photograph.

Now assemble the extractor as in the photograph and you will be able to remove the bush effortlessly.

Hope it works for you as well as did for me.

Cheers

Rob

thumbnail_IMG_0855.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0858.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0856.jpg

ben240z

Club Member
Another way is to get a piece of round bar that fits into the bush. Then fill the bush with grease and then tap the bar into the bush.

The bush will be pushed out of the crank by the grease. Never failed to work for me.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Another way is to get a piece of round bar that fits into the bush. Then fill the bush with grease and then tap the bar into the bush.

The bush will be pushed out of the crank by the grease. Never failed to work for me.

My Dad told me that was the method he used a few times.

Skallywag

Club Member
Great to know there's a lot of knowledge out there regards the L series and its a great engine to work on. Not as straightforward as a two stroke bike engine but very satisfying to get the right results.
Not heard of the grease method, although I would have tried it for sure, but from the look of the bush it was the original and it was well and truly in there.
At least its replaced now, so on to the next job.