Clifton scissor lift

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Rather than further pollute the discussion of Rob's favourite 280z on ebay, I thought I'd start a new thread.
I'm building a new garage and I don't think I've quite got room (width wise) for a 2 post lift, so I'm considering one of these:

https://strongmanlifts.co.uk/product/clifton/

20200312_111553-1024x768-1.jpg
It's low enough for my car to drive over, fits within the wheelbase of the car so I won't trip over it and seems to have plenty of room in the middle to get at the exhaust, gearbox, propshaft etc.

It's quite pricey though - I wouldn't normally spend that sort of money on a car, never mind a tool!

Anyone got any experience or heard any feedback?

Mr.G

Club Member
Really good if you can set it in the ground, then these scissor lifts just disappear. Following as I'd like a solution myself but it seems they all are a compromise.

I have the heavy duty hydraulic drive on ramps from CJ Heywood, they are very good but again a compromise to a proper 2 post/4 post lift, they are also bloody heavy so they live on a trolley. I was thinking of getting another pair and you can lift the whole car off the ground but then i will have to find somewhere to store them when not in use.

The best garage tool i have has got to be my Clarke low profile, long reach, high lift trolley jack. Get the car high up and stick some good quality, but cheap, steel ramps under her. Sorry not what you really asked for but hopefully that may help someone.
upload_2021-1-13_16-7-8.png

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Really good if you can set it in the ground, then these scissor lifts just disappear. Following as I'd like a solution myself but it seems they all are a compromise.

I have the heavy duty hydraulic drive on ramps from CJ Heywood, they are very good but again a compromise to a proper 2 post/4 post lift, they are also bloody heavy so they live on a trolley. I was thinking of getting another pair and you can lift the whole car off the ground but then i will have to find somewhere to store them when not in use.

The best garage tool i have has got to be my Clarke low profile, long reach, high lift trolley jack. Get the car high up and stick some good quality, but cheap, steel ramps under her. Sorry not what you really asked for but hopefully that may help someone.
View attachment 43205
Thanks George, that would work for getting both ends up in the air rather easier, but you're still on your back, working a few inches from your face.
I suppose more space is the answer.

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks George, that would work for getting both ends up in the air rather easier, but you're still on your back, working a few inches from your face.
I suppose more space is the answer.
If you have the head height Kudos to you, sorry my options are based on low ceiling solutions!! :)

Turn & Burn

Club Member
This? https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

They are similar, but the Automotech ones are +VAT, so they're more expensive. And they haven't got any stock anyway.
Thats the lift I have, great but if ur car is low you can’t drive onto so u need running boards to drive onto.
There is a very limited area that the pads will lift against that is any good, up front I’m on the tension rod mounts at the back I’ve had to make a spreader pad that pics up the back of the floor. Whilst the car is out of the garage I’m sorting a few modifications to make it easier to lift. I’ll follow up with some pics

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
If you have the head height Kudos to you, sorry my options are based on low ceiling solutions!! :)
I think I've got a bit of height - the garage is 2.2m high, so I should I think be able to lift it somewhere around 1m.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thats the lift I have, great but if ur car is low you can’t drive onto so u need running boards to drive onto.
There is a very limited area that the pads will lift against that is any good, up front I’m on the tension rod mounts at the back I’ve had to make a spreader pad that pics up the back of the floor. Whilst the car is out of the garage I’m sorting a few modifications to make it easier to lift. I’ll follow up with some pics

Looking forward to them pics. My front spoiler is 110mm, so I should just be able to get on without ramp extensions. The Clifton version has a cross beam available which would make it possible to lift on the diff front mount.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Looking forward to them pics. My front spoiler is 110mm, so I should just be able to get on without ramp extensions. The Clifton version has a cross beam available which would make it possible to lift on the diff front mount.
Oh hang on! Mines the same lift as Franky’s post not the one you suggested. I’ll post some pics anyway but I’m probably going OTT with what I’m doing

Chappers

Club Member

View attachment 43205

Love the car you have on them.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Oh hang on! Mines the same lift as Franky’s post not the one you suggested. I’ll post some pics anyway but I’m probably going OTT with what I’m doing
yeah, got that, but they do look "surprisingly" similar in dimensions.

toopy

Club Member
Out of interest, what's the floor specification for these 2 post lifts? Do you drill holes for the bolts after the floor is done or are the bolts concreted in?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Out of interest, what's the floor specification for these 2 post lifts? Do you drill holes for the bolts after the floor is done or are the bolts concreted in?
min 150mm gen3 concrete, prefer 200mm.
You drill the holes after the base cures.

toopy

Club Member
min 150mm gen3 concrete, prefer 200mm.
You drill the holes after the base cures.

That's a lot of concrete, i presume you wouldn't specify that for the whole garage floor in a domestic setting, just under and around the posts? Any rebar?

Mr.G

Club Member
Just seen this yesterday, narrower than standard and low height. This will actually fit in one side of my garage without making the other half unusable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROW-S...-/254774203463?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I still prefer the Maxjax as you can just remove the post when not using it. They got back to me with regards to a distributor, didnt give me a uk one but a Dutch company: https://liftmotive.com/maxjax-portable-two-post-lifts/

They do quite a few other interesting lifts too..

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That's a lot of concrete, i presume you wouldn't specify that for the whole garage floor in a domestic setting, just under and around the posts? Any rebar?
I think 150mm is standard for garage floors, both mine are. I haven't noticed these lifts mentioning rebar.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Any lift you go for will specify concrete depth. My floors are 6" (150mm) which will be fine for anything I need.