Cleaner Required

Carl300ZX

Forum User
Hi Guys

I have finally got my car back from the bodyshop!! It only took 3 months but i am glad to say that the wait was definately worth it :D :D

As i have had a 3 month rest from z tinkering etc I thought i would get myself gently back into the throws by cleaning the engine bay.
I have purchased some tooth brushes and a big can of gunk and i am in the process of mentally preparing myself for hours of being doubled over the front of the car scrubing away at years old oil and grime....Bad back here i come!!!

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this task easier? Is there a product out there that can make mincemeat of a dirty engine bay?? Any suggestions would be gratefully received........or indeed if anybody would like to do it for me that too would be acceptable!!!!:D (I don't think i will get many offers)(Never mind...worth a try)

Cheers

P.S. I will be attempting to post some pics when i have figured out how to do it so apologies in advance if i B***s it up and take the whole website down too!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Surprised the body shop didn't paint the engine bay but have you tried the spray cans (de-greasers)? Then wash off the residue ? Any really hrad to scrub places will still need to be done with the toothbrush but the same spray can will give you an easier task !

Mr.F

Inactive
Jizer is an effective "brush-on, wash-off" engine bay cleaner. Nicer to use than Gunk, for example.
Is the engine still installed? If so, beware of spraying loads of water around sensitive components like distributor and air flow meter and take care with all electrical connections as these will be susceptible to corrosion if water penetrates them.
Local garages may have steam cleaning facilities, but the same cautions apply. You might get away with it on a simple Z engine bay, but Z31 300s are a bit more "electronic" and you would be mad to do it on an old Z32 300!

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
as mr f said be very careful around the electric areas, every where else you could use jizer as quoted (if youve got a nice drive park the care some where that the grease wont be an eye sore after)

with regards to the electrical areas you can use wd40 on these its great for cutting back the grime. a word of caution. wd 40 is very flammable so give plenty of time for the vapour to evaporate before running the car!

Tirion

Well-Known Forum User
I did this recently. Tetrosil worked pretty well. Sprayed lots of wd40 around afterwards as well.

I also bought some waxoyl to do the cavities etc, but I only did the rear underside, and now the sprayer is all bunged up, etc. next time I'll go for the compressed stuff.
does anyone have any rust prevention tips?

Neill