choking z32

robbs

Forum User
i have a z32 import non turbo, car has had a service about 2 months ago, car is choking wen put my foot down, only clears after about 5thousand RPM
anyone got any ideas?

Mr.F

Inactive
Fuel pressure running too high?

Is it better when cold? ECU water temp sensor defective...

robbs

Forum User
i dont nw if its better when its cold, only put my foot down when its up to temp. should i give it a quick blast when its cold to see, or is it damaging ?

Mr.F

Inactive
The cold start mechanism involves enrichment via the injectors when the ECU temperature sensor signals cold to the ECU and extra air from the throttle by-pass regulator being open provides cold fueling mixture - idle speed is raised and the engine runs like it on "choke".
If the temp sensor is doing its job, the enrichment tails off as the regulator shuts down until normal running temp is achieved.
If the temp sensor is still signaling "cold" when the regulator has closed the engine will still be running rich at lower rpm.

Increased fuel pressure may not have much effect when the engine is in "cold" mode, but if still high when warmed up, each injector pulse will release correspondingly more fuel because of the extra pressure behind it...

I won't condone thrashing an engine when cold, but a small test on one occasion isn't going to do any harm. Also, do the ECU self diagnosis and see whether anything critical is flashed up.

robbs

Forum User
it is the same when its hot or cold, the cars idle at about 800 and when cold with choke 1500, that seem about right. where is the ecu to do ECU self diagnosis, is it the same place as z31. ?

Mr.F

Inactive
ECU is situated under a plywood board where the passenger's feet would rest - pull back the carpet, unscrew the board and lift out to reveal more electronics than you might expect!

ECU diagnostic procedure is listed under articles in the Members Only section...