Check your steering is safe - please!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well, the fun of the keep her on the road jobs continues.

I’ve been investigating a little slop at my steering wheel. At first I was afraid, I was petrified, thinking I’ll have to leave the Z car outside. Song over, I was sure it was the rack.

Then I discovered a little movement in the lower UJ ....

Having gone to bed thinking about it, I decided there must be more slop somewhere else. I had read about the splines in the collapsible steering column playing up but before condemning it, I decided to look further up the shaft and found something scary ...

Once I looked deeper, I was utterly horrified and went cold thinking about what could have happened. Thank God it didn’t and I may have to go sacrifice a goat as an offering of praise!

I urge you all to check your steering and suspension bolts - ALL of them - and torque them up correctly.

My car will be out of action for sometime until I have done just that and trust it again. I now trust NOTHING the PO has done mechanically. Especially as I discovered only 2 nuts out of three on the passenger side strut. Or the compression rod that had only one bolt which I discovered when I first bought the car. OK, I appreciate there is no tension on those nuts but still, why not put one on?

The rear of the car is next but at least it gives me an excuse to drop in the 3.9 diff. So there is a small silver lining.

Beware, beware and again, beware of the PO’s incompetence. Make no assumptions about anything that can affect your safety!!!

Last edited:

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Don't have that excuse anymore, if there is something wrong with my car its because I did it.

Scary stuff and well spotted !!

Mike