Cheap classic commuter

Russ

Club Member
Hi all,

Just a quick one, has anyone got any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive classic sports car that would make a commuter?

I'm looking at a job up on Exmoor, about 30 miles from me. I can't cycle it, the 300 is a no no, and I need something for when the weather is terrible to save the bike.

So far me and my old man have come up with something like a 1500 spitfire. I'm loath to buy a Fiesta or something sensible, I'd prefer something fun and pref tax exempt.

Anyone got any recommendations? Must return a reasonable mpg when running correctly, something small engined and light is my thinking. Doesn't have to be ultra reliable I guess, just basic for fixing :)

Cheers! :cheers:

Russ

Club Member
They seem to be pricey for something with a bit of MOT, or at least I think they're pricey. Would love one and would suit me fine, a pickup would be ideal but...

Struggling to find one, budget is as small as possible :)

Russ

Club Member
Ok there also seem to be a lot of 1988 316 coupes around, although the 318 was apparently more economical.

I could go for something newer like a Saxo/106, Micra and do it, but I'd prefer something different.

Nidge74

New Forum User
If looking at a Micra, avoid the "special editions" and just go for the standard 1.0s

Reliable and economical. and it's a Nissan.

If you can find one, get the March Super S. Rapid Micra with economy to boot.

Mr.G

Club Member
Horrible Russ.

Ok these may not be tax exempt but how about a Citroen AX GTI, or what about a Peugeot GTi 1.9? The AX will be cheaper on insurance.

You may be able to pick up for £500 and they should both be a fun ride.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Since when has a Micra been an inexpensive classic SPORTS car?

I often drive my Mother-in-Law's 2006 Micra and its excellent.

If you go classic for an everyday run-about in bad weather you'll regret it.

My lads have both had Pug 306 TurboD and they are ok. :thumbs:

martin

Well-Known Forum User
hey russ what about MR2 : 150461879619 EBAY had new clutch fitted comes with new exhaust ends soon ! though and good track day car whooooosh all that for a couple days work good luck

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
1et generation MR2 or you could have had an S16 for £600 a few months back - serviced and all !

Dale

Club Member
MX5, sporty, light, reliable, cheap & easy to get parts/ oh & japanese.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbs:

1991 MAZDA EUNOS roadster 1.6

Mine below. Well, the one I bought for the missus. Honest ;)

MX55.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
A 240Z is a better bet for the bad weather on Exmoor - bigger boot too and if our chappie here selects the correct LHD rust-free import, it'll be tax-exempt too which is what was sort of requested at the beginning !

I think he should take his Dad out back and shoot him for suggesting a Spitfire though........

Dale

Club Member
Dare I say it....................100NX ?

Now where's that 'puke' smiley? Ah. there it is...........
:puke:

I always hated the fact the by it's very name it sounded as though it was part of the same family as the 200sx and 300zx! :cuss:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
150bhp, reliable, T-top but both climates....., 4 seats and a boot.....and Russ can claim to have the big and baby brother......

For the rest, I agree with you but hey, it's his third car after all ! Could be worse, a Toyota Paleo...s (is that what they're called?) - the Toyota spin-off.

Calibra Turbo 4wd ? Celica GT4 ?