Central rear jacking point?

Robotsan

Club Member
Hi all,

Just been researching how to jack up the car. I've read the FSM notes, but the pictures are awful, so I just wanted to check the jacking point in question. I've read horror stories about jacking on the factory points on the sills, due to it flexing these old bodies too much. So seems sensible to jack from a central location. I have a low profile jack, and some wood to drive the car onto first.

Its Fig. GI-8, top right below. Looks like its on the diff or near to it?

1661528042913.png

I've read loads of threads on zclub and on other forums (like this one, this one), but some seem to say they jack it up on the diff itself, while others say on the crossmember/subframe thing behind it.

If I had to bet, I'd say the latter.. but could someone just please confirm for me - is the ideal place the green cross or the red? I'd use a rubber pad on the jack by the way.

1661528732517.png

But then where would axle stands go? On the factory points on the sills? I would be comfortable doing that as it would be lowered down onto both sides at the same time, rather than just one.

And then for the front, jack on the front crossmember (green cross), and place the axle stands on the ARB mounts (circled yellow), right?

1661528584769.png

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I lift on the red Cross, but I'm sure the green cross is fine too.
I put the axle stands on the rear arm rear inner retaining caps (out from om the green cross).

Robotsan

Club Member
I lift on the red Cross, but I'm sure the green cross is fine too.
I put the axle stands on the rear arm rear inner retaining caps (out from om the green cross).

Thanks Jon. Is that where the blue crosses are here? If so, is that far enough out from the center to keep the car stable?

1661531373086.png

toopy

Club Member
You'll see lots of cars supported (usually on post lifts) where the rear of the floor bends upwards, yellow crosses.

I have used axle stands where the blue crosses are, but as you say are they stable at that point. I was just removing the road wheels but messing about with bolts on other suspension components i wouldn't be comfortable working under it.

Inked1661531373086.jpg