Center Console Repair using Qbond

SacCyclone

Club Member
I have been using Qbond.com for many years to repair cracks in plastic parts and cracks in the Zed center console in particular. I like it because it bonds almost instantaneously when the liquid is applied.

Basically, the kit includes a black powder and a grey powder which, when the supplied liquid is applied, turns rock hard in seconds. The powders are the same so just use for light and dark plastics. The liquid is something similar to superglue but the bonding occurs when added to the powder. Within seconds it is rock hard and can be sanded or filed. It is super strong on plastics, much stronger than the plastic itself.

I like to create a V-cut along the crack on the inside, fill with powder and wipe flat with a small brush. Then you add the liquid and immediately wipe with your finger. I find that carb cleaner takes off the excess liquid off the finger when used right away.

Here are some pics of what it looked like, took me about 2 hours to repair a few cracks and to clean up to a respectable condition. Later, you can paint to suit but this one did not get paint.

On longer cracks start on one end with the burr tool and finish bonding half before moving to the other half...makes it easier.

5SDS19V.jpg

0uZkWp7.jpg

Rq1OBYL.jpg

UhKdR2B.jpg

OtKMrLp.jpg

AkeFUDg.jpg

C7674yn.jpg
ln4zXNW.jpg

Ped

Club Member
That looks like a great product, and not expensive either. Will keep it in mind, thanks!

Dale

Club Member
Do you think it would be good for remaking the broken screw points on the rear of some plastic parts? I guess you could put some gaffer tape around the base to make a slight tube or some putty around the area to contain it, pour it in, fix it, then sand and drill out a pilot hole?

SacCyclone

Club Member
Do you think it would be good for remaking the broken screw points on the rear of some plastic parts? I guess you could put some gaffer tape around the base to make a slight tube or some putty around the area to contain it, pour it in, fix it, then sand and drill out a pilot hole?
I used painters tape to keep the powder from running out of the crack to the other side....works great.
Yes, i think as long as you can make a mold with something that will not get bonded, sanding or filing or dremmel burr sculpting would work great.
I have not tried tapping a hole in the bond but it would work a treat to insert a threaded shaft.
Mike

Jason McIvor

Club Member
I have been using Qbond.com for many years to repair cracks in plastic parts and cracks in the Zed center console in particular. I like it because it bonds almost instantaneously when the liquid is applied.

Basically, the kit includes a black powder and a grey powder which, when the supplied liquid is applied, turns rock hard in seconds. The powders are the same so just use for light and dark plastics. The liquid is something similar to superglue but the bonding occurs when added to the powder. Within seconds it is rock hard and can be sanded or filed. It is super strong on plastics, much stronger than the plastic itself.

I like to create a V-cut along the crack on the inside, fill with powder and wipe flat with a small brush. Then you add the liquid and immediately wipe with your finger. I find that carb cleaner takes off the excess liquid off the finger when used right away.

Here are some pics of what it looked like, took me about 2 hours to repair a few cracks and to clean up to a respectable condition. Later, you can paint to suit but this one did not get paint.

On longer cracks start on one end with the burr tool and finish bonding half before moving to the other half...makes it easier.

5SDS19V.jpg

0uZkWp7.jpg

Rq1OBYL.jpg

UhKdR2B.jpg

OtKMrLp.jpg

AkeFUDg.jpg

C7674yn.jpg
ln4zXNW.jpg

Had almost exactly the same problem areas on my centre console

Q-Bond is the business, so easy to use (making a groove/channel is a great idea) and such a strong hold
I did the inside first, then the outside (to fill the gap as well) and it came out great

DO NOT smell it (even if by mistake like I did)- it is strong, like smelling salts and really made my eyes water
and when "grinding" it before sanding it does make a very strong smell

But superb stuff and perfect for the job