Carbs

riske

Active Forum User
I have whipped off my standard 1974 flat top carbs with the view to either fix the float or replace with some other carbs. I dont want to spend a lot of money installing webers as i dont klnow what state the engine is in. Only had the car 1 week and only driven 2 miles before floats choaked it.

I have downloaded some manuals and have a couple of books on the 260z but i cant seem to find how to take the carbs apart properly (i dont mean fully, just to get the float sorted)

Any exploded views of each carb or an itinery on how to strip them down would be great. Thanks chaps

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not sure how much is about but there is a set of su carbs on eBay at the moment.

Wes

JK240

Club Member
Hi, I don't know which manuals you have downloaded, but have you tried here for the Factory service manual for your car....

XenonS30

Mr.F

Inactive
Exploded diagram of rear 260Z carb now in 260Z gallery section - won't add in here for some reason and my attachment problem isn't fixed yet. You need the L-series Engine Service Manual for full details...

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Riske,
Good luck. I feel though since the carbs on your car have probably not been looked at since new, you may throw up other problems. The fuel "bowl" on a flat top is small, and easy to clog up/collect water. Whilst there, check the little filter next to the fuel "bowl" viewing window. If I remember correctly, if the float is rubbish (holed) the pin that the float pivots around, to remove the pin comes out of the hole the little filter sits in. On one carb I stripped, the pin would not come out, so the opposite side to the filter hole (where it should "pull" out) a hole was drilled so the float pin could be pushed out. But if your float is holed, you can just bend pull this off, so you can then have room to grab the pin with a pair of pliers. The amount of flat top carb spares around is virtually non-existant, and I think a new float may come into the realm.

I take it you got a gasket kit from Mr.F?

If you want any more help, I will see if I can answer, but it has been a while since I completely stripped a couple of sets of flat top carbs

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Given the general opinion of flat tops (google for Datsun flat top boat anchors), I would be inclined to agree with Wes and Richiep.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would go the SU route too. I would get some more pics off the seller and establish what model carb they are and any references on 'tabs' fitted to the carbs.

I assume the floatchamber is underneath these carbs, mine are at the side.

In fact I might be interested myself :unsure:

riske

Active Forum User
Thanks guys. I have looked at the float chambers and it looks like fuel has rotted to the bottom of the chamber (all brown slodge) I cleaned that off. The floats were fine and not holed. However, the floats wernt moving freely. They were seizing slightly from the top which was obviously (hopefully) causing them to overfuel. I have cleaned the pivot section of the float and they now seem to be moving full range. Im just in the process of putting them back on but need new fuel lines and water lines in th engine. Can anyone advise on diameter and appropriate hoses and if you think this may have been the cause if the over fueling?? Thanks again