Car tilting lifts - CJ Autos

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Chaps and Ladies,

Has anyone tried these before and are there any experienced views on them? Seems a lot of money, are they worth it? They also scare me a little - obviously to be used with axle stands!

Seen others not width adjustable for £300ish and one that folds away for an eye watering £1k!!!

This is he one I'm considering ...

http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/3in1.shtml

I have no space for anything else sadly, so no point telling me to get a proper lift! :'( Would love one of those and a proper garage but sadly school fees and all things children come before my "wants".

toopy

Club Member
I've looked at these on and off for the last 5 yrs or so, but the price has always ended up curtailing my ambitions, mainly because it will be used so infrequently, i just couldn't justify the outlay :( I've stuck with the trusty trolley jack and axle stands combo.

The adjustable width will simplify matters considerably i expect, so worth paying extra for that ability, you can always use it for bigger cars then as well :)

Everything I've read would suggest they are an excellent bit of kit.

Farmer42

Club Member
I looked at one of these at the Classic Restoration show at the NEC a few years back. They had a demonstrator with a car on it and it sent shivers down my back due to its instability. I probably wasn't meant to do it but I caught hold of the car and it rocked around a fair bit & it made me think that I wouldn't want to be underneath it on that especially in a bit of a wind outside.

The one I preferred for tight spaces was the one that had 4 pads that sat underneath the wheels. The downside is, of course, you cant remove a wheel. Needless to say, I am still ramp-less and have stuck to the trusty method described by Toopy above.

Paul_S

Club Member
I am also in the axle stands and trolley jack gang. Not through choice though. I don't mind lifting one end of the other but I'm not a fan of getting all 4 wheels off the ground at once.

Out of interest, how do you guys lift up the whole car? Which end first, and where do you put the axle stands?

Paul_S

Club Member
I also like the hydraulic ramps CJ autos do, but again...pricey!
Like these?

s-l500.jpg

Me too. I keep thinking about them, but they do seem over priced.

You can go cheaper on a set that you raise with a drill, but then you can't do both at the same time which makes them a lot less convenient.

s-l1600.jpg

Even then I'm not sure of they have to be at full height before they latch safely. All a bit of a compromise really.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
THanks fellas all good stuff!! I too like the look of the hydraulic ones but as said they are pricy and I'm not sure my front air dam would clear them.

Rob you crack me up !!! Especially true though when you see this video that scared the b'jesus out of me - exactly as farmer Paul said!!! Especially given my driveway is not very flat either! Gulp!

A couple for sale on eBay so it would be good to see what they go for in case I buy and change my mind!

My other recourse is to make something with railway sleepers to drive all four wheels onto then jack one end up even higher. Oh for a decent garage!!! Serious first world problems ;)

Mr.G

Club Member
Toopy - I can vouch for the quality of the CJ Heywood heavy duty hydraulic car ramps, very pleased I bought them makes working under cars so much easier and safer. The downside is they are very heavy. I have a trolley that I keep them on when not needed.

In terms of safety - you can raise them to any height and then you line up a steel rod which slots through the ramp and the mechanism so it wont go anywhere even if the piston fails.

You may find that on really low cars the wheel safety stop at the rear of the ramp is a bit too high to get under some very low cars, I am considering a solution to this.

I bought them on special offer, which they do once a year, I think it was the VAT off from memory.

I found that the more work I did on my cars meant the more I could justify them!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Out of interest, how do you guys lift up the whole car? Which end first, and where do you put the axle stands?

I tend to go under the engine cross member first, then axle stand and jack on the diff at the rear.

But before any of this I have to drive the car onto some purpose built "ramps" made of fence posts to raise the car sufficiently to get the jack under - I do believe my car was lowered by a PO ;)

I could get the jack there without raising the car but it's a PITA to pump it the first inch or two. Another benefit of having the car on blocks / ramps is it "walks" less while jacking up - it's more a case of the suspension extending first. I've never needed all four wheels off yet!

More clearance at the rear hence jacking the front first.

I can't recall exactly where I put stands but it's generally in the vicinity of the cross member / suspension arm mounting points where it's nice and strong and unlikely to damage moving parts / thin metal. I never ever ever ever get under the car without stands - I once had a trolley jack fail and nearly lost a finger between the car and the stand while positioning it!!!!!!!!! :s

johnymd

Club Member
I bought UK made 2 poster from a place in Birmingham for under £1k plus £140 to fit it. Best thing I've ever purchased. Trouble is it's at the workshop and would really like something similar at home.

toopy

Club Member
I cant get a trolley jack under the front of mine because of the front spoiler, i have to go in behind the wheel and jack on the chassis where the compression rod bolts through.

I also cant jack directly from the back, the handle hits the fuel tank and wont move enough, so i have to go in front of the rear wheel and jack under the diff from there.

Stands i usually position under the inboard mounting point for the control arm at the front, on the rear i use a similar spot on the wishbone, I've seen plenty of pics of cars supported under the area where the rear inner wheel arch meets the back of the sill. Not actually on the sill, but the flattish area inboard of it, mostly seen when a car is on a 4 post lift.

I want to get some scaffold boards i can drive onto before jacking, just like Ali's fence post work around :)

toopy

Club Member
You may find that on really low cars the wheel safety stop at the rear of the ramp is a bit too high to get under some very low cars, I am considering a solution to this.

That's one reason why i haven't bought them..... and the cost! :confused:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Toopy - scaffold boards (planks) are what I have used for many years. Took me about 30 mins to make them, cost nothing and they are invaluable. I use them front and back - they are just low enough to clear the sills when driving on, gives me enough height to operate the jack-handle under the tank.

Attachments

• 20190207_092113.jpg
    20190207_092113.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190207_092121.jpg
    20190207_092121.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190207_092127.jpg
    20190207_092127.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
thats got to be the most dangerous thing I've ever seen in private hands!
what kind of stress is that putting through the body!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well fellas, insomnia has cost me dearly again. I got bored with thinking about it and bought a seesaw one just now.

Will report back if I get the time to play with it in a week or two - and I hope not to smash my front spoiler into the drive in the process! :s

On the upside, it was £70 cheaper from the same people if bought on eBay rather than their website! Go figure. :confused:

Their good Ali, that'll be a sound purchase.

If you went for a powered lift, there's loads that claim to be made in the UK, they're not, also not made to UK safety standards.

johnymd

Club Member
I use these to get the cars high enough for a trolley jack and the 2 poster.

Attachments

• laser ramps.jpg
    laser ramps.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 35