Car Security

Tony 260Z

Club Member
I've been thinking about car security for our old Z's after an E-Type was stolen from Donington while we were there at the Samuri meet. Presumably it had an alarm and/or immobiliser and that was either circumvented or made no difference - a lot of people ignore a car alarm anyway and to be honest a plausible "very sorry for the noise, it's always going off by mistake" line would probably be enough to satisfy most people who went to see if the car was being stolen. Thief A then gets the bonnet open, rips out the siren and disables it while Thief B drives over a flatbed truck and starts winching said car onto the back. Thief C is no doubt following the owner to make sure he's over the other side of the park. Scary.

So, on top of the usual electronic countermeasures, we're left with physical ways of making it difficult. That means steering wheel or pedal locks etc, most of which can be cut away (albeit noisily) and won't stop a car being winched onto a flatbed. Some sort of roadwheel clamp on a back wheel would help but I know I'd eventually forget it was on there and do untold damage trying to drive away.

So, any other ideas? How about a way to fix the gearstick in reverse? Is it possible to put the car in reverse and then put a bar through the transmission tunnel with a padlock on the end that would stop it moving? Or weld some sort of hoop onto the top of the trans tunnel that the stick could then be padlocked to? I know that would ****** up the gearstick boot but I'm sure that could be revived with a velcro'd access gap.

I know none of this will stop the most determined thief but it could make a car bloody difficult to move!

What do folks think?

Tony 260Z

Club Member
I remember that thread... I think it was what set me thinking. I was wondering whether anyone had ever gone for the sort of things I suggested.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Gene Berg shifters for VWs had a locking mechanism - I wonder it anyone's ever done a similar one for the S30s

416%20024.jpg

TimW

Club Member
conjures up pictures on my wife on a bad day!

Darn.. did I say that!.. sorry to divert, but couldn't resist