Car Auction Sale - 1973 Datsun 240Z

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Looks a very decent buy at that kind of money, someone bought well.
Rare to see a 73 car still on flat tops, would suggest the car has not been messed with too much in the past, probably a good sign, although the boat anchors will have to go ;)

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Looks a very decent buy at that kind of money, someone bought well.
Rare to see a 73 car still on flat tops, would suggest the car has not been messed with too much in the past, probably a good sign although they will have to go ;)

I think its an interesting one - someones gone to the effort of painting the car (and the job looks fair from the pictures) but they painted over the old scratty rubber grommets etc. Assume the engine must have come out for the paintwork too and hasn't really been cleaned up... the black bumpers are ugly too...

Its a good price providing the shell is solid I guess and makes for a nice useable 240Z

uk66fastback

Club Member
I don't mind the black bumpers to be honest, worse I think is the putting back of rusty screws and bolts onto a freshly painted shell - sacrilege!

You don't even have to renew the bolts, just clean them up though, that should be the minimum.

On this colour on 1973 US market cars, was the butterscotch interior an option - or was it standard? Not seen too many cars in this colour with the black interior ... one for Saccy maybe.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I don't mind the black bumpers to be honest, worse I think is the putting back of rusty screws and bolts onto a freshly painted shell - sacrilege!

You don't even have to renew the bolts, just clean them up though, that should be the minimum.

On this colour on 1973 US market cars, was the butterscotch interior an option - or was it standard? Not seen too many cars in this colour with the black interior ... one for Saccy maybe.

Totally agree about the bolts they even look better painted...

As for the bumpers - I don't dislike black bumpers - they just look scruffy, not recently painted that's for sure as the paintwork looks patchy on them.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Why do you all care - it's a LHD so worth cheet-all !:D

I like the steering wheel - it's an original thought and doesn't look out of place in a black interior.

Bargain car - somebody got lucky or did their homework.

SacCyclone

Club Member
The aftermarket radio and cheap mechanical fuel pump give me some pause, however seems to have sold for a fair price.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I do actually have two original radios from 71-73 if anyone is remotely interested. Although I think one of them is missing a knob or two.

Dan

Mark N

Club Member
It seems like a decent price, but the seller looks to have a "that'll do" attitude and that's with the bits you can see.
I think with a bit more attention to detail, especially in the engine bay, they could have achieved a better price.
Assuming that the engine was out for the respray and they never cleaned it or even changed the oil filter is just laziness and missed opportunity!
Also, the fuel in the filter looks a bit murky and I'm not sure why they fitted a new mechanical pump then by-passed it.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Guys IMO it sold for the right price in the UK. Nothing is perfect but this looks good for the money. I wouldn't worry overly about detail at that price.
Totally agreed although it appears to show that continental buyers are not buying LHDs from within the UK as I'd expect this car to have made +£19k here.