Can't handle these tyres anymore

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
My car drives like an absolute pig on the roads around here...it follows the ***** dips and white lines...dangerous thing

I'm running 235/50/50 888's

I need a road biased tyre now and there's nothing in that size so I need to go to 17" wheels

I know, I hate them too. So what's available here in the UK, would like Watanabes (or whatever they're called but need a uK supplier 10x17

Any thoughts would be appreciated

datsfun

Club Member
Why don't you try 225-50-15 tyres instead of jumping to 17's? You can get decent performance tyres (road) which should negate the tram lining you get with 888's? I assume you aren't using this as a track day machine so a decent performance tyre should give you the level of grip needed for road use in most conditions. I am sure the experts will chime in shortly with what's hot tyre wise in 2016.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
What he said x10

But if you are after high end tyres

R888's do tend to tramline like a pig particularly in the larger widths (235 is a BIG tyre for the front of a small light sports car)
The R1R's are supposedly good but overheat with excessive track use
The new R888R are worth looking at supposedly significantly better than the R888

But if you like the best then PirelliTrofeo R's in a 225 / 50 / 15 and 16 are to be released in April but will cost you nearly 300 quid a piece (inc vat)

BTW 17's on a single link strut will compromise the setup IMHO (and will look like a gangsta wagon)

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah 225 was a thought......5mm off the Radius I guess isn't too much

888R still track tyre? and going to tramline again I guess?

Really don'y like the 17 gangsta look

racer

Club Member
Might be worth changing your geometry and trying to improve it.

Are you running toe in or, tow out at the front?

My car does the same thing(maybe not as bad as yours) but,I like the feel of it.

datsfun

Club Member
I will stick my neck out and wear the flame proof vest and recommend the Toyo T1R. They are perfect for fast road use given the size limitations you have. Great dry and equally good wet grip for a "road" tyre. Don't let the track day crew put you off about the soft sidewalls...only noticeable on track conditions IMHO.

Oh and they are affordable.

Let the flaming begin..

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Fit electric power-steering - it takes most of those foibles out of play.

Of course, only for girly wusses........a man's Z should be a right handful if you listen to some hairy-chested wannabe Healey owners.

Ducks for cover.....!

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I'm looking at T1R's Not going to use it on track.....

Might get Geo done first....not sure where it's set currently

Castor is limited because of the wheels fouling the wings

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Do you have adjustable platform coilovers
If so, get it cornerweighted and then aligned....not somethng Kwik Fit will do though.

Just for refererance whilst castor is being discussed, You can have too much, after an optimum point any more is just pointless and will result in excessive twitch and tramlining.

Oh and the T1R is absolutely fine on a road car where its driven at 5/10ths

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Do you have adjustable platform coilovers
If so, get it cornerweighted and then aligned....not somethng Kwik Fit will do though.

Just for refererance whilst castor is being discussed, You can have too much, after an optimum point any more is just pointless and will result in excessive twitch and tramlining.

Oh and the T1R is absolutely fine on a road car where its driven at 5/10ths

Yes adjustable platforms.

I've identified a local Race car set up place who do all the corner weighting etc.

Is the castor adjustable without top plate adjustables?

datsfun

Club Member
Yes adjustable platforms.

I've identified a local Race car set up place who do all the corner weighting etc.

You need to either have adjustable castor rods or the top mounts need be both castor and camber adjustable ( most only cater for camber)

johnymd

Club Member
Although track type tyres look great and make the car apear more purposeful, they are not the best choice for a road car. My blue car is very twitchy but I put up with this on the journeys to the track because its mainly a track car. Road tyres would make my car feel much better on the road but be a real compromise on the track.

225/50 x 15 road tyres are the way to go and will probably look very similar to what you have.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User

Castor is basically how much the wheel is pushed forward from the vertical when viewed side on, with an S30 this is mainly controlled by the tension rod and flex in the bottom arm bush, a stock rod will give very little adjustment, too much and the tyre footprint will be adversely affected at increasingly smaller and smaller steering angles.....imagine a shopping trolly

To do it propely you require adjustable bottom arms and an adjustable tension rod all with rod ends etc.
This is all then tied into camber (requiring a fully adjustable top mount), toe in, toe out and stuff like Ackermann angles etc.

If its going to spend most of its life on the road the original geometry is a safe datum point

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lee, are you running with wheel spacers on the front?

If so are you able to try the car without or do you have clearance issues?

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Guys

No Rob...no spacers

Thanks for the explanation Steve/Johny

I've been nipping around in it today....greasy roads....had the car adjusted as it was a bit fluffy on low down.....I'm unfortunate that the road I have to take out of here is possibly the worst road in the UK if not the world and even in a normal car it's a bit manic

Out on various other roads today it's far more bearable and was having fun but has now opened up thoughts on an LSD ffs :confused:

I might play with tyre pressures too

I hate cars:D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
No Rob...no spacers

Ok so it's 225 road tyres T1R are ok (my lad had some) and get Tel to fit power steering.

My 370Z was designed for really wide tyres, it has PS and it still 'fights me' on white lines. Rears are wider - have you thought about narrow fronts only?

Last edited by a moderator: