Can't get damper out! Help.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Gents,

As you may have seen on an earlier post I was stripping down all my front suspension for a blast and coat.

I had a real struggle getting the gland nuts off first but got that sorted by a local workshop. The first damper came straight out with no problem, the second is a different story. I've tried everything. Oil won't even penetrate down the sides. Can I drill a hole in the bottom to try and push it out then just reseal that hole with Sikaflex or similar?

Cheers

Matt

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Yes and yes. Haha. I had a sliding hammer at work to no avail and tried combinations of all sorts including heat. Unfortunately the dampers are not functioning properly so leaving it in is not an option.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Perhaps locate another strut first (you don't need to collect it) and then you'll have more confidence to 'work' on your's with heat etc.

Good luck.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Bite the bullet, get back down to that garage/workshop, fire them another tenner and ask them to do it ... job done.

I'm very much the pragmatist nowadays.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Depending on how keen u are to battle on with it, a draw bar assembly using a 3ft piece of pipe or box section over the strut and onto the spring mount may get u started. Weld the old strut top nut onto an m16 rod and a piece of 5mm plate to draw against the tube top. Saves drilling the leg which I suspect may not achieve much.

Good luck