Can you solve this mystery?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Here's an odd thing. I was out in my 260Z tonight, and went to turn on the fan to clear the windscreen and it wouldn't work. I then tried to turn on the heated rear window switch (which currently works a rear fan heater I have installed) and that didn't work either. Everything else (stereo, lights etc) were working fine.
Then suddenly, as I was wondering why, they both came on together and started working.
They are both still working OK now, but I don't like mysteries.
Could it be I have a fuse loose or something? Does anyone know if the same fuse or relay covers both the heated rear window and heater fan circuit? And if so can you tell me EXACTLY where I would locate said fuse or relay, bearing in mind I am an electrical ignoramus?

Dale

Club Member
Sounds like a lose connection somewhere in the system.

You could try gently 'pinching' the fuse holders in the fuse box. I had a problem once where I would intermittently lose my dash lights and headlights and it was the fuse holder. Where it grabbed one end of the fuse it was nice and tight, but the other end not so.

Mr.G

Club Member
Sounds like a loose connection, check where you fitted your new heater, closing the boot hard a few times may have loosened the connections. If the male and female contacts come out very easily with the female connector removed pinch the sides very lightly, which should make the male connector harder to come out.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Having recently come from BMW 2002 World, a frequent issue on those cars was the fuses losing contact with the fuse holder due to surface corrosion. The simple tweak was to twirl the fuses in their fuse holder every now and again.

Cheers

Mike

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Well I will try twiddling the fuses. These are the ones in the box down near the accelerator pedal I presume? There aren't any others hidden anywhere?
And just an update - went out to the car this morning when it was cold. Turned on the ignition - and again the heater fan (for the windscreen and car) and the heated rear window switch would not work. Then, after about two minutes of leaving them in the on position, they suddenly sprang into life. It is weird - like they have some kind of delayed timer on them.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think it MIGHT be a relay sticking. My lights are like that - they need 'waking -up ' sometimes by switching them on and off a few times.

Nidge74

New Forum User
Bring it to the Cheshire meet on Wednesday, I'm sure someone there will be happy to have a look at it for you.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Rob - so where are the relays? And how will I know which is the relevant one? Presumably I can change it?

Nidge - Yes, am coming to the Cheshire lounge on Wednesday. What time will people be arriving?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob - so where are the relays? And how will I know which is the relevant one? Presumably I can change it?

My main beam relay is by my right knee, on the side panel - not sure about others or a 260? :unsure: Actually you've got me thinking now about my lights - perhaps it's the switch?

richiep

Club Member

Nidge - Yes, am coming to the Cheshire lounge on Wednesday. What time will people be arriving?

People usually start turning up from 7.30-8ish. Bear in mind it is also the American Auto Mags Cruise there on Weds - so don't be surprised if you get some funny looks from the assorted Corvette/Mustang/Charger/GTO owners when you pull in! :D (They have no idea that the Z Club meet is there too, given we tend to be so small compared to their numbers!).