Can i here and now declare i haven't driven a z!

Fish1234

Active Forum User
So when people talk about 240/260z being not entirely comfortable what do they mean? And is 280z much more comfortable ? Can a 240/260 be improved comfort wise somehow to make them more comfortable not everyone spends their weekends doing track days and perhaps I've got so used to modern cars i might be surprised about harshness. Thanks

status

Well-Known Forum User
The Late 260 z is more refined as it has more comfortable seats slightly and the door cards are more padded as are the arm rests,Zeds are not uncomfortable unless you put coilovers on and even then it’s only if you hit a pothole you know you’ve hit something and if you’ve never driven one then you are in for a culture shock but get use to it and they are fun not like today’s boring modern day cars,

Dale

Club Member
So when people talk about 240/260z being not entirely comfortable what do they mean?

Of all the cars I’ve driven my 260Z may well be the most comfortable one of all, especially on long journeys. It just doesn’t fatigue me like most modern cars do. I’d be knackered after a long drive in the 350z but not the old Zed.

AD240Z

Club Member
I drive my 240 on coil overs on the roads of the Yorkshire Dales and NY moors- never found them uncomfortable.

The seating position is a million miles away from my daily driver Navara - but as comfy.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So when people talk about 240/260z being not entirely comfortable

Not entirely sure which people have said that as I have never heard it yet.

What constitutes comfortable for one man is not the same for another - in fact what is the definition of comfort?

If you mean suspension then it can vary wildly from one S30 (fairlady/240/260/280) to another depending on who the previous owner was and how they set it up, which market the car came from etc.

If you mean engine / exhaust noise then see above.

In very simple terms, think of it this way, early S30s like a 240 felt more sports car and the engines really came to life over 4k rpm so you had to work them. The 260 was more GT with a better torque spread (mine used to pull from 1100rpm in 5th), a taller final drive and better seats / interior. 280z was even more GT and had more creature comforts.

With Stock suspension, bushes, tyres / wheels - all will feel soft and wallowy compared with a modern sports car like an MR2, S2000 etc. In fact the only time I had had enough of my S2K was a 4 hour drive to wales, but these are sports cars not mile munchers.

My 260 fatigues me on longer journeys as I have a noisy exhaust and a modified engine making a glorious noise + I like to set shocks up for handling. Oh and there is the fact that my car eggs me on and makes me drive hard, officer.

Sound proofing is nowhere near modern standards but I added some myself which takes out a huge lot of wind and road roar.

The seats on my late 260 are very comfortable and provide good support. Some complain that they sit “on” their seats rather than “in” them, not an issue in mine.

North American market cars are softer in stock form than RoW cars.

My advice, don’t believe everything you read, wait for covid to pass and get rides in members’ cars to get an idea of how varied they can feel. Unless you are comparing totally stock condition cars, every car is going to feel different and this is a difficult question to answer over tinter!

Last edited:

yellowz

Club Member
73 240Z on standard set up, wind noise through window, engine noise and exhaust and no radio to speak of. My son (18 at the time) loved going in it because 'its the most comfortable car I ever went to sleep in'.

For me the experience overrode the comfort niggles all day. Can't wait to get another!

status

Well-Known Forum User
I agree with Dale,never had fatigue or back ach driving my Z and as far as I remember the 280 Z has the same seats as the 260 but as stated the Yankee versions were a bit softer ride as the yanks were a bit fatter than us European specimens so had to take up a bit more slack lol,try a few out,where are you based

Farmer42

Club Member
Drove around 150 miles in mine around some lovely roads (and narrow country lanes!!) in Wales and never felt uncomfortable once. The only discomfort I did find was that my cheeks ached from having a smile on my face all day!!EXTRA:D

The S30 is certainly a lot more comfortable than my Wife's Hyundai Coupe.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Just done over 800 miles in my 240 this weekend, all on scottish highland roads. Which redefined lumpy. sweaty back would be my biggest complaint. As far as I am aware on standard shocks and springs.

I was in 4-5th for 99% of the time the torque spread is great

If I really focus, the very lower part of the seat occasionally hits my back, the blowers spew out cold air from the vents but hot air from forward if the gearbox?

All in, it’s surprisingly modern to drive.

Biggest plus for me is internal ergonomics, I am 6 ft 3, tons of head, elbow and knee room. Can heel toe no bother. My elise, S4, various quattros where too small to allow that. Only the e46 m3 worked for me ergonomically. So for a car designed in the 60s the driver ergonomics, dial positions etc I find extremely well thought out and often overlooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish1234

Active Forum User
Well you told me then .. I just picked up on a lot of internet stuff ect as like i said I've never driven one. Most regular journey i will do is 1.5 hours on the A303 from Wiltshire to surrey.

TimFZ

Club Member
In terms of suspension comfort, mine is great and the most comfortable out of our cars (Honda HRV, VWT5 camper and MK3 MR2). It feels softer sprung on the road but well controlled at all times. It has relatively new stock springs and dampers. Seats feel great and the kids find the 2 small seats in the back more comfortable than our other cars too. I suspect the long wheelbase also helps with higher speed cruising comfort and stability.

In terms of noise, I have two small silencers on an otherwise stock ish exhaust and although you can hear the engine when working hard, it is not intrusive cruising. There is wind noise from mirrors and windows over 50 mph. No vibration etc. However, windows down, its a bit "fumey" which you dont normally get in a modern car!

richiep

Club Member
Fumes with the windows down results from leaky rear hatch and or tail light seals. The air pressure change associated with the windows being down causes fumes from the rear of the car to get pulled in. Give all your rear seals a check for fitment and proper sealing, including any of the bungs present on the rear hatch. Otherwise, run with your blower on and the footwell vents open - helps to keep the stink out (I assume by increasing the volume of air entering the cab from the front)!

Fish1234

Active Forum User
Thanks Tim you have some interesting cars i also think a MR2 mk3 would make a good budget choice i would be interested to know what you think of them. I currently don't have a garage to use so getting a Datsun would mean a new garage and all that entails. So I'm thinking i need a car that will be still happy to be left outside i gave mx5 a miss. I think i need to steer away from "classic" to modern and save on having a garage.

Last edited: