Buckaroo Banzai visits the Cite du Train, Mulhouse

Buckaroo Banzai

Well-Known Forum User
I am on another excursion this weekend, not across the 8th Dimension but instead to the Railway museum in Mulhouse, France. known as the Cite Du Train, Visited the museum today and it covers the entire history of railways in France. If your like me and you like anything that moves, Planes, Trains and Automobiles you would find it interesting, really large collection of exhibits and only 10 Euro to get in, but I wont bore you with all the details but just the bits that you may find interesting.
(Please note, I'm not a train spotter but find the engineering side interesting)

Cité du Train - Site officiel - géré par Culturespaces, Mulhouse

SAM_0441.jpg

SAM_0440.jpg

Having previously visited the French National Automobile museum in Mulhouse (also known as the Schlumph Collection) and there being the largest collection of Bugatti's in the world, I dont remember reading any info or references to Ettore Bugatti's Train building adventures?

But after visiting the Train museum today it appears he also had a hand in building locomives too.
And in true Bugatti style his creation was futuristic and sleek (for 1932), novel, powerfull and Fast. in fact it held the a speed record for trains of 192kmh set in October 1934.

The Train was one long carraige with passenger seating throughout except for the engine and driver cabin mounted in the centre. The driver looked out of a small cockpit on the roof with the engine compartment below him.

Believe it or not the train was powered by 4 all aluminium, normally aspirated, straight 8 cylinder Bugatti designed petrol engines. each engine developing 200hp and god knows how much torque. forgot to note the cubic capacity of each engine but they looked BIG..!

Peering into the engine bay there didnt appear to be any silencers either with each engine having a common exhaust manifold that just exited out through the side of the carraige.
I cant begin to imagine what that thing must have sounded like on full bore. probably just a very very loud wail and It must have drank fuel like the space shuttle having twin Carburetters on each engine.

SAM_0390.jpg

SAM_0395.jpg

SAM_0391-1.jpg

SAM_0392.jpg

SAM_0410.jpg

SAM_0408.jpg

engine and driver cabin showing the four exhausts out the side

SAM_0394.jpg

SAM_0393.jpg

one of the engines with cutaways

SAM_0418.jpg

SAM_0417.jpg

SAM_0416.jpg

SAM_0415.jpg

SAM_0414.jpg

SAM_0422.jpg

SAM_0421.jpg

SAM_0420.jpg

SAM_0419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckaroo Banzai

Well-Known Forum User
It appears that Renault also had a bash but there effort was knowhere near as Charismatic as the Bugatti. Typical French styling, dull interior and powered by a massive V12 diesel engine mounted inches from the driver. must have been deafening in the drivers seat and very hot.

SAM_0403.jpg

SAM_0402.jpg

SAM_0398.jpg

SAM_0397.jpg

SAM_0396.jpg

there was a driver cabin at both ends, but the one at the business end must have been a horrid place to be...

Bad end

SAM_0407.jpg

SAM_0401.jpg

SAM_0400.jpg

SAM_0399.jpg

Better end

SAM_0404.jpg

Also saw this picture of an orange TGV, I could'nt help thinking it looked strangely familiar..?

SAM_0413.jpg

Right next to the train museum is the EDF Electrpolis museum dedicated to the history of electricity in France. entrance is free so it would have been rude not to have a look in as I was there. the most interesting exhibit in there is a 1901 Brown Boveri alternator powered by a 4 cylinder Sulzer steam engine. the unit is running for display but powered by an electric motor today. The whole unit was removed from a large manufacturing factory in Mulhouse that closed and rebuilt in the museum, the whole unit is in superb condition.

File:Mulhouse, Electropolis.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Click on the pic for video

SAM_0433.jpg

SAM_0432.jpg

SAM_0431.jpg

SAM_0429.jpg

SAM_0425.jpg

Educational, Engineering insight and research threads, brought to you by the Banzai Institute.

BB467.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckaroo Banzai

Well-Known Forum User
Bit of an update to tell you that the weekend got even better this morning, In the car park outside my hotel in Mulhouse a local car club turned up for a meet......Perfect..! :)

So had to spend a hour looking round the motors and grabbed some pics.

The majority of cars were Corvettes, the French seem to like Corvettes and being left hookers it suits them.
But several other interesting motors including a few Panhards, Facel Vega and a rare French Venturi Atlantique.

AAAAAAAND Burnsies next motor, Dont worry Steve, I got the guys number and he said you can have first refusal when he sells up....:D

SAM_0475.jpg

SAM_0474.jpg

You can tell its an American car (no offense Marco)

SAM_0476.jpg

SAM_0443.jpg

SAM_0442.jpg

SAM_0479.jpg

SAM_0478.jpg

SAM_0477.jpg

SAM_0473.jpg

SAM_0472.jpg

SAM_0471.jpg

SAM_0470.jpg

SAM_0469.jpg

SAM_0468.jpg