Broke my driveshaft

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I managed to break a driveshaft at the pod today, thankfully a quick call to Steve and I'd managed to find a replacement cv so me and Matt borrowed Mike's car for a trip up to Pmac's to pick it up. Eventually got back to the pod and swapped out the shaft with the help of Tel in the pod car park.

So just wanted to thank Mike, Matt, Pmac, Steve, Tel and anybody else at the pod that help me today :bow:

And for those of you that want to see the buggered cv.

dsc04792b.jpg

dsc04794b.jpg

dsc04795b.jpg

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Darren your more than welcome, glad to be of (some) assistance :thumbs:

The problem is that these things are 30 years old and have sat underneath cars for those 30 years (loads of surface pitting, micro fractures, age brittleness)

Size wise they are more than adequate to support that sort of power but if the core metal isnt in good condition then it might as well be a straw

Maybe get the replacement set cut back, radiused, crack tested, cryo treated and powder coated.
Which will cost several hundred £ without the replacement shaft(s)

The alternative is to get a custom set up made

Shafts (Elite transmissions have a pattern from mine) £350-400
CV's (GKN) £50x4
Custom companion flanges £25 x 4
Boots n bolts £50

All in thats £750-800, fit and forget.....guaranteed to take even the power of a Samuri :eek:

Mr.G

Club Member
Was great to see everyone getting together and helping you out Darren, that's a big part of what I feel being part of the club is all about. :thumbs:

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I agree George it was a nice feeling that several club members got together and helped me get the car fixed so I could drive it home.

Think I will relook at my rear end setup (the car's not my own before anyone says) and will add it to my winter mod's and maintenance program.

Wyn

Club Member
The alternative is to get a custom set up made

Shafts (Elite transmissions have a pattern from mine) £350-400
CV's (GKN) £50x4
Custom companion flanges £25 x 4
Boots n bolts £50

All in thats £750-800, fit and forget.....guaranteed to take even the power of a Samuri :eek:

Bargain, group buy ?

Mr.G

Club Member
I came across this which may be of interest, scroll down to the very bottom: Techno Toy Tuning - Your performance parts source for the old school cool!

It could be a bit too overkill so you may want to wait to hear what JMortensen comes up with on Hybridz, I know he's working on a stronger drive shaft solution.

I've always been a bit concerned by over engineering the drive shaft to prevent failure - in a way it's acting as a safety fuse. If it's too strong to break then something else down the line might, which may be more costly to fix or more dangerous when it fails. That's why I always keep a spare drive shaft in the back of the Z. :) Of course you can always strengthen all of the transmission components to engineer out failure.

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the link George. I'm already planning on a significant update in this area along with a load of other stuff I'm not happy with on the car. Going to be a busy autumn, winter, and spring I think.

Wyn

Club Member
4 bolt Z31 turbo? shafts seem to be the way to go
Getting them aswell as MM flanges seem more the prob?

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
4 bolt Z31 turbo? shafts seem to be the way to go
Getting them aswell as MM flanges seem more the prob?

The Z31 CV's with Modern Motorsport flanges etc looks like a good setup. If you want to keep an R200. But I wonder what Z31 CV parts are like to obtain as Nissan seem to hold even less Z31 stuff than 240z's these days.

Currently I'm warming to these along with the custom shafts they supply
Welcome to Modern Motorsports Ltd!

Wyn

Club Member
The Z31 CV's with Modern Motorsport flanges etc looks like a good setup. If you want to keep an R200.

For costs, Z31 must be the easiest and safest ?
From what I've read I haven't seen any complaints/failures with them?
As said getting the parts ova ere is more the issue :unsure:

But I wonder what Z31 CV parts are like to obtain as Nissan seem to hold even less Z31 stuff than 240z's these days.
One For Mr F?
Do the joints interchange/ share with other nissans?

Wyn

Club Member
R200 diff
I take it the std 4 bolt diff output flange and inner hub flange of a 260 isnt the weak link ?
If not is there not a bolt on adaptor plate that allows cv shafts like these to be used?

$(KGrHqN,!i8E4r(HqlcsBOUqH1YSRg~~48_12.JPG

Found a random pic lol
something like this x 2 per side

Flange-Adaptor-IFABS-000-.jpg