British F1 GP Tickets

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just looked at buying tickets for the Friday which includes qualifying for the qualifying (sprint) race!

So £99 general admission (hope it's dry)

Then £20 to park the car!

Then £7.50 Handling Charge even though they are E Tickets!

Seems I'm a bit out of touch with prices and rip/off scams.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
£7.50 handling is a disgrace, not a single pair of hands ever touches a ticket o_O - but unfortunately all too modern

The other prices are, unfortunately, in line with what I would expect - F1 nowadays is mostly a rip-off. Very hard to get a whole weekend in without a mortgage
I've been to 33 GP across Europe but stopped going about 4 years ago - it's just too expensive, even if you camp (and I am too old to camp ;))

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Handling charge here is called 'frais de dossier' (file costs) and you're basically directly paying the persons' wages - pisses me off !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've been to a few mainly in the 70s/80s (Silverstone and Brands Hatch) tickets were £15 for some on RACE DAY!

In '77 I went to Silverstone (James Hunt won) and US Long Beach (Mario Andretti won).

Been to Moto GP too at Silverstone think 1980 on my bike. The circuit is a bit wide for bikes really.

In the good old days there were great supporting events like Touring Cars, Historic cars, Sports Racing cars etc

johnymd

Club Member
I’ve been to Silverstone in’81 I think. A few bike gp’s around this time too. Then Monaco in the late ‘80’s. Went to the Spanish gp 5 years ago and it was great. Stayed in Barcelona from Thursday to Sunday night. Had ticket for the full weekend so great to go to and from the track during the day. I think it was quite expensive but a really good weekend away.

uk66fastback

Club Member
A few of us have been to Silverstone and camped for the GP for the last few years … but we’re not going this year. We used to get weekend (Fri-Sun) tickets, so practice, qualifying and then the race.

It is expensive to get in but we’ve been in the Silverstone Racing Club stand the past couple of years and it’s made a hell of a difference … decent queues for food, a bar, decent toilets etc. The camping is cheap if you know where to go.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Last time I went I was a guest of a BRDC member. Spectated from the top of their building but spent over an hour after the first lap waiting for a restart. Kimi had damaged the Armco on the Wellington Straight. The chance of that happening again on the straight was minimal but H and S took over.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Silverstone camping is ridiculously priced. For the Historic in 2019 my friends and I booked camping with electrical hookups. It was expensive compared to normal campsites but being inside the circuit we were happy to pay up. When we arrived we were charged an extra £50 for the pitch! The expensive 'camping' was just for the hookup.
Who the f*** would book a hookup without a pitch?
At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.