Brake Pads and Bearing Grease

TimW

Club Member
Hi Guys,

I'm giving the brakes a bit of an overhaul and re-greasing bearings, slowly working my way round the car,

I’m stumped on a spring that came with the new pads. I’m not sure if it’s needed. There wasn’t a spring on the old pads and I’ve not seen any photos or references anywhere to them. I’ve checked posi-quiet website and nought other than an image of the pads. I took a guess at it installation and wondering if someone can take a look and let me know if the spring is needed and if so, installed correctly?

Can anyone also recommend a good grease for the front bearings please?

Tim

sdyck

New Forum User
Wire spring

I'm going through this myself right now. I don't think you have it quiter right. The spring should be pushing the pads away from the rotor. The arms of the W (or M) should be on the inside of the pads, you have them on the outside. The ends of the wire should fit in the hole in the central tab or ear of the brake pad. This is my first post but I'll try to attach some pics (from a non z car, but with a similar setup)

Good luck,

Steve

Attachments

• sprinc clip 3.jpg
    sprinc clip 3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 29
  • spring clip 2.jpg
    spring clip 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 28

sdyck

New Forum User
Its hard to tell, but it doesn't look like you've got shims in there? HI understand they are very helpful for keeping the brake squeal down. I've never run without them so I don't know how bad it would be. I did put them in backwards once and they sure did make a racket.

Steve

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes the spring should fit in-between the pads. The stainless steel cips are designed to eliminate squeal rather than shims in your case.

Does it say in the instructions: ' brake parts are safety critical - to be fitted by a qualified engineer' ;)

TimW

Club Member
Thanks very much Steve. I've reassembled and it looks about right now. Brilliant, thank you.

I'm guessing it doesn't matter if the spring is on the left or right (perhaps Obi-Wan Kenobi aka Rob might know.;))

The shims are black so difficult to see

Trying to part the hub from the disc ATM, wanting to get the discs skimmed. Plumbers torch coming out shortly I reckon or a large hammer!

Does it say in the instructions: ' brake parts are safety critical - to be fitted by a qualified engineer' ;)

Nope... but with a bit of copper grease and the pins in I now consider myself an expert!.. I can't wait for the next challenge, at our ages Rob we need to keep the grey matter ticking

Bloody brilliant this club, I often wonder how I would be getting on without it and the internet (that's the Interweb to you Rob:p)

uk66fastback

Club Member
Tim, did you get those blasted, those calipers and were they rebuilt? If so, can I ask where?

The brake disks are cheap as chips new at Rockauto.

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Caliper Assemblies

Here is an image of an original brake caliper. The slide pins were held in by spring clips, as you can see. However, on the assembly you have, the hole appears to be open, with no clip installed. I can't see, on your rebuilt units, what is holding the sliding pins in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 32

TimW

Club Member
Tim, did you get those blasted, those calipers and were they rebuilt? If so, can I ask where?

The brake disks are cheap as chips new at Rockauto.

Great thanks FB. No mate, just cleaned up with with some unleaded, a wire brush and some brake cleaner. Looking in buying a soda and sand blaster atm.

Here is an image of an original brake caliper. The slide pins were held in by spring clips, as you can see. However, on the assembly you have, the hole appears to be open, with no clip installed. I can't see, on your rebuilt units, what is holding the sliding pins in place.

Thanks A2Z. Yes sorry, the pic is not clear. I was doing a dry fit trying to work out the spring assembly. The clips are yet to go in. Do you not bother with the spring or is not part your pad kit?

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Front Caliper

It seems that there are differences in the original caliper assembly and the repair kit you have, but parts often do superseded through time. Attached is a scan of the R-Drive fiche, which shows the exploded view of a stock caliper. This appears to have two springs incorporated (Part #16 on the diagram "Spring - Dumping" whatever that means).

Attachments

• Fiche Scan Front Caliper.jpg
    Fiche Scan Front Caliper.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 21

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Thanks very much Steve. I've reassembled and it looks about right now. Brilliant, thank you.

I'm guessing it doesn't matter if the spring is on the left or right (perhaps Obi-Wan Kenobi aka Rob might know.;))

The shims are black so difficult to see

Trying to part the hub from the disc ATM, wanting to get the discs skimmed. Plumbers torch coming out shortly I reckon or a large hammer!

Nope... but with a bit of copper grease and the pins in I now consider myself an expert!.. I can't wait for the next challenge, at our ages Rob we need to keep the grey matter ticking

Bloody brilliant this club, I often wonder how I would be getting on without it and the internet (that's the Interweb to you Rob:p)
Did you use that spring clip in the end? I've been wrestling with a similar challenge.