Brake kit, interest?

I'm going to get a custom brake kit made up:

Alloy bells
Discs
AP forged 4 pots/hi spec billet 4 pots.

The hi spec won't have the current hi spec logo(I don't like it!).

They'll fill a 14" wheel with 286mm discs.

Larger diameter should be ok if you feel the need to stop 2 tonnes!

They're about 3.5kg lighter per side than stock.

Price depends on calipers.... And numbers.

Any interest here?

johnymd

Club Member
I think they have already built a custom set for another 240z owner so should be able to reproduce them although they don't list a kit.

In answer to your question, it all comes down to cost. Give us a ball park figure.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Just for anyone running 17's (may fit behind 16's) I was running fiat coupe 4 pots with custom brackets/allot bells and a 330mm disc (designed by a friend at BG developments).
Think all in it cost me about 600 with finding a set of good used calipers on eBay for 100 ish. You do then need new flexi brake lines too.

Dan

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I spoke to Hi-tec a while back

They asked for my car so they could develop a set up so at that point they appear never to have done one

I could be interested but I have to say I bought their set up for my MK1 Golf and it was shocking. The pad didn't sit wholly on the disc leaving the pad over hanging the outside but room on the inside of the disc plus the caliper didn't sit square.....quite shocking so I chucked it all in the corner and got BG to sort it out

I've used BG on many projects using their AP set up with no issues

I spoke to Hi-tec a while back

They asked for my car so they could develop a set up so at that point they appear never to have done one

I could be interested but I have to say I bought their set up for my MK1 Golf and it was shocking. The pad didn't sit wholly on the disc leaving the pad over hanging the outside but room on the inside of the disc plus the caliper didn't sit square.....quite shocking so I chucked it all in the corner and got BG to sort it out

I've used BG on many projects using their AP set up with no issues

It won't be a hispec kit, just calipers...

johnymd

Club Member
The problem I have with Willwood is they just aren't up to the job on my on my blue car. I don't do that many track days but after 3 or 4 they are totally destroyed requiring pads and disks. As the disks ware down after 2 days they start to crack badly to the point you cant use them. I think they are good for the occasional day and general road use but need to be bigger if you want them to last.

The problem I have with Willwood is they just aren't up to the job on my on my blue car. I don't do that many track days but after 3 or 4 they are totally destroyed requiring pads and disks. As the disks ware down after 2 days they start to crack badly to the point you cant use them. I think they are good for the occasional day and general road use but need to be bigger if you want them to last.

I won't be going for wilwoods, they're also big and heavy.

datsfun

Club Member
I won't be going for wilwoods, they're also big and heavy.

Can you elaborate why unsprung weight so important on a road car? Just asking unless you planning on doing track days or circuit racing where every lb matters.

Can you elaborate why unsprung weight so important on a road car? Just asking unless you planning on doing track days or circuit racing where every lb matters.

I just want a light feeling car, when I say reduction in unsprung weight, more to the point that they won't add weight, over calipered/braked etc.

Its likely that you'd notice that sort of reduction though.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Attachments

• DSCF3593.JPG
    DSCF3593.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0761.JPG
    DSCF0761.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF3594.JPG
    DSCF3594.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3597.JPG
    DSCF3597.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 24

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

I just want a light feeling car, when I say reduction in unsprung weight, more to the point that they won't add weight, over calipered/braked etc.

Its likely that you'd notice that sort of reduction though.

Guys, from a practical viewpoint I doubt if anyone on here would notice any difference in unsprung weight - I didn't.