Brake issues

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Guys deparately need somm advice on brakes.
Brakes were fine but decided to change fluid,
So started by bleeding the 2 rear brakes all seemed ok then replaced the calipers at the front and vented discs.
Now after beelding both calipers there is no pedal and the front brakes barely work after several pumps. The pedal is even softer when the engine is running eg servo etc.
Need advice as going to Spa in 3 days.:smash::confused::confused:

johnymd

Club Member
Is fluid comeing through ok when you bleed it. Had a lot of trouble blending mine and i needed to bleed the master cylinder first.

andrew muir

Club Member
The calipers are Rob Gaskins spaced standard calipers.
The nipples are at the side about midway.
I didn't bleed the master first, wish I had as a have just done it and a couple of air bubbles came out.
Will probably have to bleed the calipers again?
Still the same very spongy, rear brake lock up when pedal hits the floor. So rear brakes are ok I think.
Noticed I have an air leek from front carb to the vac advance, as when pressing brake I can hear the air comeing through that.
I would be susprised if that had something to do with it though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is fluid comeing through ok when you bleed it. Had a lot of trouble blending mine and i needed to bleed the master cylinder first.

Yeh, I suggested bleeding the Master Cylinder.

The calipers are standard 240Z but spaced. They were reconditioned professionally a few years ago. They worked fine when taken off but have been standing a long time.

Andrew, as 'racer' asks, is the bleed nipple at the top? Do you have them on the wrong sides of the car?

Attachments

• brakes 001.jpg
    brakes 001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You say the nipple is midway???

Do you have the feed to the nipple position and the nipple where the feed should be?

See my pic above of those actual calipers

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew muir

Club Member
Thanks guys
Not as fast as expected.
I think I may have them mounted on the wrong sides of the car.
Will check and post back tomorrow.
hopefully will bleed ok now!

racer

Club Member
Ok cool easy fix then. Bleed the furthest away corner first, ie NS rear and work your way towards the master and do that last.

andrew muir

Club Member
Couldn't wait just checked!!
Iam an idiot they are mounted on the wrong sides !!!
I take it that that would trap air in the caliper pistons etc.
Will swap tomorrow and hopefully ok.
I can sleep now knowing that it should all be ok, I had worries it could be the master cyl etc.

johnymd

Club Member
No brakes may not be a bad think, at least it would make you carry more speed through the bend........if you make it through the bend.

andrew muir

Club Member
I can't believe it more faults, replace leaking, vacume hose to advance now will have to retune car!! grrr!!
And had oil weep from diff garket, spent 2 hours replacing all the (not very tight bolts) on cover with longer bolts and tightened checked oil level should be all ok!!:unsure:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
What!! Overheating not with Robs super duper calipers!!!!:thumbs::D

Don't expect too much Andrew. You have vented discs now so they will cool better but a 2+2 is still going to need better brakes than a 240Z driven the same way. One step at a time though eh?