Brake advice

Brum

Forum User
Hey all.

I have a 1976 datsun 260 2+2. I'm in the UK.

What rear drum shoes do I need?

Also any ideas on a bolt on front brake caliper and disk upgrade? Don't want to spend too much but would like to stop better.

Also, what are the sizes of the standard disks and pads? Might just upgrade to vented and better pads

Thanks for the help

toopy

Club Member
Hey all.

I have a 1976 datsun 260 2+2. I'm in the UK.

What rear drum shoes do I need?

Also any ideas on a bolt on front brake caliper and disk upgrade? Don't want to spend too much but would like to stop better.

Also, what are the sizes of the standard disks and pads? Might just upgrade to vented and better pads

Thanks for the help

Rear drum shoes are late 260z, they differ slightly from 240z/early 260z, if buying from the US just order 280z ones, the size is the same but the mounting arrangement is not. Brake hardware is different between early and late as well.

You can't swap to vented discs with the standard calipers, but you can of course just use better pads which I've read can be surprisingly effective if your not hooning around all the time! You can also get better than standard shoes i believe.

The previous traditional brake upgrade was Toyota hilux calipers with non turbo vented discs from a Z31, but these are now quite hard to find and kits have moved on from there now anyway. I have the above which are great, but there are now several options that are probably easier and somewhat better. Others can bring you up to speed hopefully as I'm not looking to upgrade further so haven't fully researched whats needed. Neither is a particularly cheap option mind.

Brum

Forum User
Rear drum shoes are late 260z, they differ slightly from 240z/early 260z, if buying from the US just order 280z ones, the size is the same but the mounting arrangement is not. Brake hardware is different between early and late as well.

You can't swap to vented discs with the standard calipers, but you can of course just use better pads which I've read can be surprisingly effective if your not hooning around all the time! You can also get better than standard shoes i believe.

The previous traditional brake upgrade was Toyota hilux calipers with non turbo vented discs from a Z31, but these are now quite hard to find and kits have moved on from there now anyway. I have the above which are great, but there are now several options that are probably easier and somewhat better. Others can bring you up to speed hopefully as I'm not looking to upgrade further so haven't fully researched whats needed. Neither is a particularly cheap option mind.
I can get a set of 1995 hilux calipers for £100 (ish)

Do I need a conversion kit to install them?