boomer

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
what are the pro and con of those size for a 240 with +- 180hp and a daily street use?

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Now here's a topic that should run and run! When the 240Z was designed it was done to to run on 70 series tyres with the amount of side wall give that is inherrant in that particular profile. the whole suspension package including the tyre was designed together. Changing to a larger wheel means going down a side wall profile to maintain the rolling radius and allow the wheel to fit on the car.Lower profile tyres have less sidewall movement so hence you have altered the effective suspension character of the car. for better or worse?? it is for greater minds than mine to decide this one. There are all sorts of other considerations too, such as room for bigger calipers,wider tyres for more grip but heavier steering!, different wheels with different offsets that will alter the suspension geometry.The list goes on. I think that with 600 members in the Zclub we could have around 600 opinions!
My opinion? Well I like my 240Z just as it is with 6.5x14 woolfrace and 195/70x14 tyres. Nuff Zed!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I think pmac makes a good point regarding suspension. Have you beefed yours up or is the car still standard ? If you let me know exactly what you have done (or not, as the case may be), I'll be able to advise better.

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
I plan on using the Tokiko way, with shorts springs, but I don't want to go more than 15'. I think that the Z body isn't strong enough to withstand the abuse of low sidewall tires. My guess is that the sidewall should absorb a good deal of the flex, beside it drift a lot better!!!
Remember I said that I still want a daily driver, the Z is quite predicable but with very low tires I am afraid it will be an “On/Off” matter! The road aren’t that wide in France…

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I run 16"x7" wheels with a 205/55 tyre. I don't really consider these low profile (not by todays standards). I still think that the ride quality is good considering everything else, but this is subjective and I don't use it as a daily drive.
The most noticable difference when I switched from 14's to 16's was the sharper turn-in, it feels really good. The bumps were more pronounced though. I would certainly recommend, providing some effort has been made to toughen the suspension. I'd probably go 17's next....if I can ever afford it !!!!
I don't think my Zed is any less predictable now than it was then, but I am useing uprated anti-roll bars which makes a massive difference.

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
thank's Zhead,
so I will put one happy driver in the 16' club, no sides effects? no signs of wear around your bushes, sway bar...
good, have you a pict of your car so I can have a look?
Fred

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
No side effects yet, and they've been on for almost 2 years now. There's a pic' in the gallery, it's the red one in the paddock at Goodwood.