Bonnet (hood) alignment issue, panel gap / replacement hinges?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hello folks,

Could do with some advice on my bonnet / hood alignment. You'll see in the picture below, I have a panel alignment issue. Has anyone got experience of this? I'm wondering if a likely culprit is the hinges and whether or not I should start off my replacing those?

Please - any tips gratefully received.

Thanks, Graeme
IMG_0031.jpeg IMG_0039.jpeg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I’m pretty sure there’s some adjustment possible heightwise between hinge and bonnet, so if you slacken the 4 bolts off just slightly and press the bonnet down I think you’ll get it in a better position.

DonMuscles

Well-Known Forum User
I have same problem on mine.

Exactly the same side.

Adjusted it and still the same.

The problem is it goes down to correct height with pressing on it, but springs back up again.

A bit annoying to say the least.

SacCyclone

Club Member
The bonnet hinges are secured to the body with 3 12mm bolts on each side and there is some adjustability. The bonnet attaches with 2 12mm bolts each side to the hinges.

If you adjust both hinges and bonnet and still can not get the bonnet in position, you may confirm the wings are in the correct position to the body, may have to add some shims.

I have several sets of complete hinges if you can not find a set locally.

Mike

DonMuscles

Well-Known Forum User
I have already adjusted mine to the maximum low position on that side.

Both at the bolts on the body and at the bonnet.

It just keeps soringing back up.

Shen you put weight on it it sits fine though.

And yes please on the hinges.

I will give them a try.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I have already adjusted mine to the maximum low position on that side.

Both at the bolts on the body and at the bonnet.

It just keeps soringing back up.

Shen you put weight on it it sits fine though.

And yes please on the hinges.

I will give them a try.

You do realise Sac lives in America right?

SacCyclone

Club Member
One of our members has several cars leaving from me in the US in a few weeks so i would be able to get them to the UK fairly reasonably.

I will get some pics of a couple pairs and PM you in a few days if that's ok.

Mike

johnymd

Club Member
Loosen the 3 bolts on each hinge to body with the bonnet down then hold the bonnet down and nip the bolts up.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Usually all that is required is for the complete hinges to be removed from the car and restored to full working order by de-rusting and proper lubrication. The hinge pins are simply steel-on-steel rivets, set loosely, and when rust gets in there it restricts their full movement.

Doesn't take much to get them working properly again, but people generally just don't want to take them off...

DonMuscles

Well-Known Forum User
Usually all that is required is for the complete hinges to be removed from the car and restored to full working order by de-rusting and proper lubrication. The hinge pins are simply steel-on-steel rivets, set loosely, and when rust gets in there it restricts their full movement.

Doesn't take much to get them working properly again, but people generally just don't want to take them off...

It is not thatthey have restricted mevement as they have been cleaned and greased anf move very very freely! :).

But one side is just springy, as so to speak...

SacCyclone

Club Member
I have a hood hinge assembly complete with rods in good condition for $75.
E-mail me at fpdmcshane@sbcglobal.net
and I can send some pics.
Still don't know if that is going to remedy your problem unless your hinges are bent or just wacked!
Maybe someone has a spare set in the UK????

tjrvp

Club Member
I had the same issue where I used up all adjustment available. But the the bonnet still popped up above the wing line.
Changing the hinges solved it.