Bonnet badge size

Bazzateer

Club Member
My 260Z came with a tacky after market bonnet badge which I want to replace with a proper one. The badge I have acquired is smaller than the one fitted (see pic).
If the Datsun badge in the pic is correct then I now have holes in the bonnet outside the circumference of the Datsun badge so basically I'm stuck with the nasty one.

So, my question: is the Datsun badge in the pic correct or is there a larger one available?

Attachments

• 20200217_105155.jpg
    20200217_105155.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 33

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Original bonnet emblem on a UK market 260Z model would be about 715mm diameter at the widest part (give or take a mm or two).

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
All I can suggest is making up some sort of 'plinth' type mount to cover the holes and accept the original emblem on top.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
And I suggest filling them in and get a blow over on the bonnet.;)

The person who fitted it - not to mention the person who commissioned the manufacturing of these spurious emblems - might be the one who needs 'filling in'...

Alternative suggestion: Would a 2+2 quarter panel 'vent' emblem be adaptable if all else fails?

quarter emblems.png

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
How about a nice samuri figurine....might add some value if you paint it right :

https://www.amazon.fr/samuri-Warrior-Japanese-Figurine-Veronese/dp/B01N7SZEG8

Bazzateer

Club Member
Original bonnet emblem on a UK market 260Z model would be about 715mm diameter at the widest part (give or take a mm or two).
I think you mean 71.5mm ;)
Mine's 71mm and the tacky one is 90mm. Wonder if there's anything out there that looks right but is 90mm?

Bazzateer

Club Member
The person who fitted it - not to mention the person who commissioned the manufacturing of these spurious emblems - might be the one who needs 'filling in'...

Alternative suggestion: Would a 2+2 quarter panel 'vent' emblem be adaptable if all else fails?

View attachment 37010
It's a pissabolity. Depends on the size and I'm not near the Z at the moment.

Mr.G

Club Member
I think the best solution is what Sean came up with, probably not what you wanted to hear but anything else just wont look right if you want the original stock look.

Bazzateer

Club Member
I think the best solution is what Sean came up with, probably not what you wanted to hear but anything else just wont look right if you want the original stock look.
A figurine? I think not.
Fill the holes and a blow over? Not right now, only just got the car and I'm not going to do that. Just a shame the previous owner didn't realise it was the wrong badge before having the bodywork done.

chris frizzell

Club Member
figurine that the hell are you talking about ,is there a 2 for 1 on wine Sean . just get him to glue a plastic gnome to cover the holes or put the correct badge on. in the big plan this is the only little job .new or used badge are not pricey but that samuria 214 euro . put the lot off and enjoy driving your new toy its a job for later .chris

Bazzateer

Club Member
figurine that the hell are you talking about ,is there a 2 for 1 on wine Sean . just get him to glue a plastic gnome to cover the holes or put the correct badge on. in the big plan this is the only little job .new or used badge are not pricey but that samuria 214 euro . put the lot off and enjoy driving your new toy its a job for later .chris
Yep, it's staying as is for now. I do have one iron in the fire for a solution but it will take a week or two and may be a non-starter.