Blow Of The Dust

stuart barrie

Club Member
My 240 is now going much better.
Has been off the road since the new year while getting head work done.
Last year I fitted triple delortos and was recomended to get head work done. It has all come together now. Next step is roling road.

Mr.G

Club Member
Congrats! Must be very satisfying to have her back again.

I would love to do a rolling road session, last time I did one was with the 300zx.co.uk and that was a couple of years back.

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
The 300zx forum have organized another rolling road day, £25 per car (gets cheaper the more cars that go along) They have invited us along but I can't find the thread at the moment, if people are up for it let me know

(I think it was SW based - Stuart where are you?)

Mr.G

Club Member
Suzy, you are a star!

I may be up for it, but need to know when and where :) . I don't think i can go to their site as I am not registered. £25.00 is very cheap, was £50.00 when I went.

I would recommend anyone giving it a go, it's a great way to benchmark your performance and compate the gains made of future mods.

datsfun

Club Member
Yes the 1/4mile is a much better benchmark in terms of performance.Its no good having trick suspension, triple 48's, a wild cam etc, if you cannot get traction and put the power down on the road:D.The RR will give you fancy graphs and statisitics and bhp/torque numbers, but is silent on the weight of the car, hence no idea as to how it will perform on the road.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
of course, performance is still not all about straight line is it ? A car works together to get that power down and curiously enough, our cars are supplied with a STEERING wheel and UJs - wonder why ?

True bench mark are lap times !!!!! The rest is just practice !

Mr.G

Club Member
Rolling Road will give you a steady idea or "benchmark" of the performance capability of your engine. The other tests you describe will vary with driver.. Depends what you want to measure I guess.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Granted, rolling road is the engine (not the car) !

I generally see the car and driver as one, one of the aspects of these cars I like is that one feels connected with the car, so...

datsfun

Club Member
SeanDezart said:
of course, performance is still not all about straight line is it ? A car works together to get that power down and curiously enough, our cars are supplied with a STEERING wheel and UJs - wonder why ?

True bench mark are lap times !!!!! The rest is just practice !
Depends on what you deem as bench mark:rolleyes: . On the street[private race track off course], its mostly straight line performance that matters, with the odd corner thrown in for fun .

On the track, yes more corners but the competion also have good, if not better handling cars.

Most Z cars are set up for fast road, hence why the 1/4 seems to be a good test

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
of course, performance is still not all about straight line is it
It is for me!;)

Steering wheel is used to turn left at Santa Pod entrance, and thats it!!!!:p

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I heard reeently that a 1/4 mile drag strip was the benchmark for comparing performance !

Simple physics

If you know the weight of something and the time taken to travel a measured distance, you can calculate the applied force.

The 1/4 mile time can be used to verify HP figures very very accurately, if you know the weight of the car and its drag factor.
Do this often enough (statistical averaging) and it factors out variables such as weather etc.

Maybe that’s why some of the much-vaunted "big HP" cars don’t come to drag events :rolleyes:

As the learned sage sayeth "when the flag drops the bulls**t stops"

our cars are supplied with a STEERING wheel and UJs - wonder why ?
Cos they would fail the MOT without them :D

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe that’s why some of the much-vaunted "big HP" cars don’t come to drag events
LOL. Your right there Skiddell.

Magazine shoots, untimed track sessions and Car shows are all some of them attend!;);)

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Oh Pete, on track days you have to learn how to go round bends and steer the front road wheels, not just put your right foot to the floor and change gear! He he he!

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Well when you get that NOS kit fitted Zed2K you will have to bring it to da Pod and show Skiddell a clean pair of rear wheels.:eek:
BTW. Your gonna need them 9" Enkeis with the NOS so go easy on the insults in case i look for another buyer. LOL:mad::mad:

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
While you be looking for that can opener, I'll be getting my print out!!!!!!
LOL...
O bugger has the light gone green??...