BIVA is coming :(

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think you've read that right...

All it states is that vehicles that could be exempt from an MoT that have more than 15% of the original power tonweight ratio need an MOT...

As do Q plates and a few others.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Dan is correct - you've not read it right. And cars already registered are I am sure, fine anyway, no?

They can't restrospectively enforce this.

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
How the hell are they going to know the vehicle has more than a 15% power to weight increase? Unless the car has an engine swap obviously

Dale

Club Member
You'd probably get that power to weight increase by removing the federal bumpers from an American import :D

So as long as your engine is pre 88.... it's always been like that?

Issues arising mainly and proveable from those using 88 onwards components?

Mr.G

Club Member
How the hell are they going to know the vehicle has more than a 15% power to weight increase? Unless the car has an engine swap obviously

They will link up with your insurance perhaps? You need to declare mods to your insurance company and they always ask what the increase in BHP is..

Mr.G

Club Member
It must therefore depend on who you are insured with and what mods you've done, as soon as mine was turbocharged they were interested in how much BHP from stock it's increased.. Each insurer will be different by the sounds of it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It must therefore depend on who you are insured with and what mods you've done, as soon as mine was turbocharged they were interested in how much BHP from stock it's increased.. Each insurer will be different by the sounds of it.

Has anybody else been asked what their bhp is and if so did you know?

How can you compare a bhp figure from the 70s declared by Datsun with a guess or a rolling road figure by Fred Bloggs down the road in 2017?

If it's 14.9% higher you get away with it if it's 15.0 you don't . This is unworkable surely?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I was asked by Adrian flux (whom I am insured with) what the approx BHP was
I was also reminded by them that my car was a competition car (they had searched the interweb and found some Time Attack stuff)...this cost me more money as apparently the risk is greater....go figure.

Lancaster asked me what the BHP was as well

uk66fastback

Club Member
I'm with Flux and they didn't ask me, but when I was asked whether it was a standard car I said yes, (which it is) ... I imagine when SK above said 'No', THEN the inquisition started ...

"All calls are recorded for monitoring and training purposes."

Okay ... and will be played in court for evidence when we refuse your claim more like ...

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
You'd probably get that power to weight increase by removing the federal bumpers from an American import :D

Prob true, really wish I'd weighed mine before they went in the skip, absolutely unreal how heavy they were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk