Bitchin Betty

Huw

Club Member
As a fan of antique electronics I just could not resist. I got this through the post today. Been looking for one for a long time.

Not much to look at, but this is the pinnacle (ish) of Nissan electronics from the early Eighties. Its the audible warning unit from a 82/83 280ZX, more colourfully known as 'Bitchin Betty' in the States. I believe they were only available on US cars. The unit lets you know when the doors are open and fuel low amongst other things.

As you can see no chips in here, there is one op amp but thats it. All analogue stuff, lovely.

Now if you look real close at this picture you will see where the lovely voice of Betty is generated. Right in the middle there is a little bitty plastic record disc, just like an LP (for those of us that still remember and use them). For each phrase required a different track on the record is played. The output I believe was via the car stereo. How quaint!

I hope to get a circuit diagram, or failing that map out the inputs and output needed to see if I can get it working.

Huw

Last edited by a moderator:

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure I would want it in the car but it would be fun to have set up and be able to play the tracks.

Huw

Club Member
That's what I want to do with it. Not sure about fitting it in the car either personally.

monza

Well-Known Forum User
Huw,

I know its a while since you started this thread, but out of curiosity did you get the thing working ?....I love retro 'junk' like this :cool: - during the winter when I cant drive my car when I'm always looking for a kitchen table project !

Cheers
Ash

Reactions: Huw

Huw

Club Member
Hi Ash

Not yet, but it's on the list to do. Like u its a 'to do in the warm' project. Got all the inputs and outputs mapped. Just got to make up some connectors and wire it up. Will let u know.

Cheers
Huw

Huw

Club Member
Finally found time to get this thing working. it wasn't quite as straight forward as I expected it to be. Now I've got it working I definitely wouldn't have it in the car!

I do have the pin out diagram if any really wants it.

The video is probably the dullest ever made but it allows you to hear all the wonderful messages off the tiny record.

Here a shot of the rear of the test rig with the wiring. The most awkward bit was simulating the speed switch output. Needed a little 555 timer circuit to fool the unit.

The fuel low circuit has a 40 second delay on it to establish a true reading from the tank, so I've edited that out of the video, its not that interesting to look at in the first place. You do need to have the sound up as the recording quality is not great. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNKcpcVS3g4

Ped

Club Member
Hi Huw, that's excellent! :bow: But I don't think I would want one of these in my motor either...

Mr.G

Club Member
Good job getting it working Huw, I know a few people tried getting them working 'stand alone' before on various US Z car sites and failed.

Nexussteve

Well-Known Forum User
My Dad had a similar unit to this in his MG Maestro! We loved it as kids! Used to run around telling other kids our Dad had a talking car like K.I.T.T. from Knightrider!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well done Huw, lovely bit of auto nostalgia.

I think it would be fun to link it up to a large 280ZX model e.g. open the door and the warning sounds.

Huw

Club Member
Just updating this old thread with the pin out diagram. Having been asked I couldn't find the info to hand (it was a while ago). So its on here now if anyone else is crazy enough to need it - best of luck Chris ;)Voice Warning Connector Pins.jpeg280ZX Voice Warning Triggers.jpeg280ZX Voice Warning Wiring.jpeg

Last edited:

Robotsan

Club Member
As a fan of antique electronics I just could not resist. I got this through the post today. Been looking for one for a long time.

Not much to look at, but this is the pinnacle (ish) of Nissan electronics from the early Eighties. Its the audible warning unit from a 82/83 280ZX, more colourfully known as 'Bitchin Betty' in the States. I believe they were only available on US cars. The unit lets you know when the doors are open and fuel low amongst other things.

As you can see no chips in here, there is one op amp but thats it. All analogue stuff, lovely.

Now if you look real close at this picture you will see where the lovely voice of Betty is generated. Right in the middle there is a little bitty plastic record disc, just like an LP (for those of us that still remember and use them). For each phrase required a different track on the record is played. The output I believe was via the car stereo. How quaint!

I hope to get a circuit diagram, or failing that map out the inputs and output needed to see if I can get it working.

Huw

Can't believe it plays off a little record. That's amazing! 😂 Would it skip if you went over a bump?!