Best Battery?

JonB

Club Member
Does anyone have a recommendation?
Neither of my last two Group 24 batteries really seem to crank that beast as well as they ought to...
Thanks in advance-
and as a bonus, here she is with the Wolfrace slots I was so happy to get through the club!

Attachments

• IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    482.2 KB · Views: 39

Farmer42

Club Member
I bought a hankook battery early last year and its been great. Got it from battery megastore for about £60.

Bazzateer

Club Member
How old are your battery cables? They can deteriorate under the insulation to the point where they cannot cope with cranking amps.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
I went to local parts supplier wheels Brooks and they use Oldham advance battery and they are good and not bad price aswell
I have it on a trickle charge in the garage

toopy

Club Member
Also is your starter in good condition?

That's a very good point, i fitted a new starter last year and the difference in cranking speed and power is night and day on the same battery.

Also something else to bare in mind, a battery will hold a charge far far longer if the Neg or Pos is entirely disconnected when the car is not in use.
I have one of those battery cut off things fitted and the car sits in storage over winter for approx 5 months, but it has started the car for the last few years no problem, even before i renewed the starter motor!

JonB

Club Member
That's a very good point, i fitted a new starter last year and the difference in cranking speed and power is night and day on the same battery.

Also something else to bare in mind, a battery will hold a charge far far longer if the Neg or Pos is entirely disconnected when the car is not in use.
I have one of those battery cut off things fitted and the car sits in storage over winter for approx 5 months, but it has started the car for the last few years no problem, even before i renewed the starter motor!
I do have kill switch- always a good idea, and about to swap my cheapo solar trickle charger to something more heavy duty!

Barricade

Forum User
I do have kill switch- always a good idea, and about to swap my cheapo solar trickle charger to something more heavy duty!

Jon I can not recommend highly enough the CTEK range of trickle chargers. I use it to maintain my CTR and will also be using one for the 240 as well. They make a quick disconnect which is super handy as you can leave that connected to the battery and when you want to take the car out unplug the connector as opposed to having to remove croc clips or more annoyingly ring connectors. They do other cool stuff like remembering where in the charge cycle they were if there was a power cut and continue from that point.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The Exide battery I first had managed to pee acid all over the car after 13 months.

Varta has been brilliant. And Bosch’s silver batteries on the Audi’s have been stunning.

Using one of these but minus the little shunt fuse, I disconnect the battery every time it’s not in use and the charge never dwindles! Nor does she ever struggle to crank.

https://richbrook.co.uk/product/discarnect-battery-master-switch/

I do prefer Toopey’s way of having the isolator inside the car though. It’s a bit of a faff in public car parks to pop the bonnet all the time ;)