BBC4 Sunday 7th October 2018. See my Z on James May's Cars of the People

TimW

Club Member
For or anyone interested or who have not seen before.. The BBC are showing a repeat of James May's Cars of the People on BBC4 this Sunday at 8pm with my Z up against an E-Type.

Royalty, i.e. Damon Hill has sat on the same seat... Haha.. Enjoy...

TimW

Club Member
Hey Tim will the Z be going faster this time round now it can reach max revs :EXTRAlol: :EXTRAlol: :thumbs:

Haha.. that would've been good!.. Figures I believe would have been even better if JM hadn't have missed 2nd gear at the start of the first lap, but it was nice to see a mere glimpse of Damon Hill taking off on the 2nd lap. Watch closely enough and you'll see the Z soon taking the lead.

Noticed for the first time that the Z was included in the introduction, albeit just for a second or two

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The whole thing is a complete TV set-up/farce however it does make the Datsun look good. The scene where Damon Hill is standing outside the car waiting for James to turn up in the Jag is ridiculous. Good publicity for the Z series and it was a great day out for RIDDLER.

TimW

Club Member
The whole thing is a complete TV set-up/farce however it does make the Datsun look good. The scene where Damon Hill is standing outside the car waiting for James to turn up in the Jag is ridiculous. Good publicity for the Z series and it was a great day out for RIDDLER.

That's because the Datsun is good..

The scene of Damon Hill standing outside, for me, I welcome it considering he'd been waiting for the Z to turn up on the first lap!.. Sort of reinforced James May's driving. Okay, they could have made it more factual, but that's entertainment I suppose!

And yes a great day out for RIDDLER

Apparently, there was a lot more footage taken with Damon Hill driving the Z and it's a shame that wasn't included. I would've liked to hear the same sort of commentary/opinion of the Z the he gave when driving the Jag . RIDDLER had asked for the extra footage after seeing its first airing, but unfortunately the BBC wouldn't oblige.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I reckon those two cars would lap Oulton in similar times - in fact if you listen I think the Jag was faster. However they wanted it to be slower to prove the point of the show. Having done many track days the difference between cars is usually seconds. It can't be taken seriously (like Top Gear).

Mr.G

Club Member
Shame they never featured the 260Z
That's because the Datsun is good..

The scene of Damon Hill standing outside, for me, I welcome it considering he'd been waiting for the Z to turn up on the first lap!.. Sort of reinforced James May's driving. Okay, they could have made it more factual, but that's entertainment I suppose!

And yes a great day out for RIDDLER

Apparently, there was a lot more footage taken with Damon Hill driving the Z and it's a shame that wasn't included. I would've liked to hear the same sort of commentary/opinion of the Z the he gave when driving the Jag . RIDDLER had asked for the extra footage after seeing its first airing, but unfortunately the BBC wouldn't oblige.
For that very reason I felt a bit disappointed. Could have been so much better.